Return to Website

Tweedbank Online Forum

Welcome to the Tweedbank Online Forum. Please feel free to leave a query on a subject relevant to Tweedbank & The Borders only. Thank You.

Tweedbank Online Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Messy Tweedbank

Hello Tweedbankers,
I am Gerald Armstrong (Jerry) from Pennsylvania USA. I came across the site searching my family roots.
I fully understand your situation about the growth of your town. It has happened here "USA" all to much. Beautiful towns ruined by commercial business and housing complexes.
It has turned our once beautiful town and farming community into a sprawling metropolis full of cars pollution and crime.
YES crime, when the population increases so does the amount of crime. Everything good and bad goes up equally.
It has gotten so bad that our local government has had to enact a "open space" law. This is done buy the government buying the building rights from farmers, to open spaces. Basically no one would be able to build on the property except for the farmer and the only for the needs of the farm.
NO housing projects, stores, etc.
It is sad that it had to come to this point, but there is just no way to stop the population growth, and with that people need a place to live. So there has to be more places to live built.
Save what open land you can by what the law will allow and perhaps set a boundry around the town where as to keep your community as is.
I pray your success in this venture as starting a simple protest will fall upon those with deaf ears and eyes for currency.
Sincerely
Gerald R Armstrong
USA
GRA1963@aol.com

Re: Messy Tweedbank

I also live in Tweedbank, and would have loved it to stay a unique ideal wee village
i can only assume that the powers that be recon that the local area needs these Extra housing it would be a shame if local young families where forced out of the town through lack of housing it seems like a catch 22 your dammed whatever
i do know that a lot of the people waiting to move in to the new barratt Homes houses are in Temp private rented housing in tweedbank already.
I only Hope That The continued Need to expand the town is for NEEDED LOCAL HOUSING and Not some other under/Backhanded reason.
i mean if Any Huge Company Wants To build here do they just pay for a kiddy park or a few new paths.
As great as these facilitys look they already have become a gathering point for teanagers at night and the shouting and screeming carries in the valley.