Return to Website

Tweedbank Online Forum

Welcome to the Tweedbank Online Forum. Please feel free to leave a query on a subject relevant to Tweedbank & The Borders only. Thank You.

Tweedbank Online Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BT what a rip-off

I was recently approached by BT and asked if I would like to apply for a broadband internet connection, great I thought, being a person who does most of my banking and much of my shopping online I thought this would be just what I need and I could make more use of all the new government and council online services such as filling in my tax forms and voting. Egovernment and broadband are the buzz words you hear every day.

The Galashiels exchange was enabled for broadband on the 14th of this month. I was scheduled to be switched on on the 21st , BT sent me a modem on the 17th . all looked well until the 20th when BT called me and informed me they had cancelled my order because I could not receive broadband. I called the service department who assured me there was no noise on my line. I am 2.7 miles from the exchange and have a good line (confirmed by a BT engineer ) yet I still according to BT cant have broadband. What’s going on, it looks like the only people who can have it live in the centre of Galashiels. Surly people who live outside of town need online services more than those who live next door to the banks and shops. Surly if we use online services we are cutting pollution and congestion as well as costs for government and council services not to mention saving fuel and time.

Come on people its time to start making noise, I for one am sick of being the poor relation. When are we going to get these services, when are we going to get cable companies in the borders so that BT has some competition, they are ripping us off. Why should we pay the same line rental as others when our lines are obviously sub standard as we can’t get the same services that others in the country take for granted.

Regards

Allan

Re: BT what a rip-off

I've had a similar problem with my application for BT Broadband as well. They sent the modem and everything out, then when I phoned up to activate everything, they told me that the order had been cancelled because there was too much noise on my line. I was then told that the tolerances for noise on the line were to be relaxed 'within the next month', and that I should be able to get it then. I was then told, however, that I would have to keep checking up to see about this happening, then re-register my interest for broadband!

After a lengthy discussion with BT about how ludicrous this was since I had already applied and received the modem, therefore it was obvious that I was interested, I managed to get them to agree to phone me and update me when the tolerances had been relaxed.

I'll just wait and see what happens. You never know.....

Will update when (if?) I get more information.

Lewis Adam

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was recently approached by BT and asked if I would like to apply for a broadband internet connection, great I thought, being a person who does most of my banking and much of my shopping online I thought this would be just what I need and I could make more use of all the new government and council online services such as filling in my tax forms and voting. Egovernment and broadband are the buzz words you hear every day.

The Galashiels exchange was enabled for broadband on the 14th of this month. I was scheduled to be switched on on the 21st , BT sent me a modem on the 17th . all looked well until the 20th when BT called me and informed me they had cancelled my order because I could not receive broadband. I called the service department who assured me there was no noise on my line. I am 2.7 miles from the exchange and have a good line (confirmed by a BT engineer ) yet I still according to BT cant have broadband. What’s going on, it looks like the only people who can have it live in the centre of Galashiels. Surly people who live outside of town need online services more than those who live next door to the banks and shops. Surly if we use online services we are cutting pollution and congestion as well as costs for government and council services not to mention saving fuel and time.

Come on people its time to start making noise, I for one am sick of being the poor relation. When are we going to get these services, when are we going to get cable companies in the borders so that BT has some competition, they are ripping us off. Why should we pay the same line rental as others when our lines are obviously sub standard as we can’t get the same services that others in the country take for granted.

Regards

Allan