CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Recent visit

I am sure you are aware of the fact that our developer Mariner sold all our amenities away from us when they dropped out of the picture. We now only “control” our own timeshare buildings with a small piece of land and the rest was given to an outside group for a song for further development for adults contrary to our timeshare promises that were given to keep a unified family type Resort.
The items mentioned about the pool are beyond our control, they removed the water fun parts without asking us, due to insurance cost????
Go to Sun Dial, we do, they have slides and are more family oriented than Casa Ybel allows.
The removed pool store was not damaged in the hurricane, but surely removed due to being an obstruction to the wedding parties.
The wooden bridge path between building H and Thistle Lodge was also left beyond our control. It was removed after the hurricane due to high construction repair costs based on handicap rules. I am sure the truck load of boulders are still there, blocking access to the beach isolating the wedding parties.

We are moving in the 4th of July for one of our weeks, our grandchildren loves the slide at Sun Dial, so we do spend some time visiting over there for the kids sake.
How I wish we could have maintained control of our Casa Ybel resort.
At the old Casa Ybel, before Mariner, we enjoyed family dining in a very nice buffet type home style reasonably priced restaurant close to the pool with hot dogs and barbequed ribs, also for take out on the beach. The guests enjoyed most of their meals there, they were excellent and drinks were served, it made for nice gatherings also around the pool. You could park your rental boat off the beach, even small family planes were parked around the cottages, and we all had reserved parking.

I understand it is difficult for timeshare owners and Resort developers to work side by side, we each have our different set of goals. We bought into Casa Ybel for family vacation and the resort developers needs weddings to survive.
I hope we can get closer together, why not make part of the Thistle Lodge a family restaurant so the time share owners can start using that space again for family meals and enjoy visiting together. Why cook when you are on vacation ?

Is it possible for us owners to take the responsibility of putting the slide back? Would we want to do that? Do we want that kind of cost or liability?

I called the resort, they are having a poolside 4th of July BBQ buffet both Saturday and Sunday with Danny Morgan entertaining.

I asked about the shop by the pool, I was told the structure was permitted years ago as a covered shade area and over the years it evolved into a store which the City of Sanibel ordered removed. With no place to operate, Billy's Bikes (the island bike provider) had to leave and the resort took over the beach chair service, bike rentals and towel service.

Also Carl is right with regard to the pool path between H building and the restaurant. I was told the ramp that was there before was not ADA compliant and costly to rebuild. It was removed to remedy a compliance lawsuit Should FGH Association take on the cost of rebuilding and maintaining a new bridge or path?

Gerry I hope this helps and I'm glad you see improvements, either way I wish I was on the beach and not at home. I'll be on Sanibel in October.

Re: Re: Recent visit

It's a wonderful sunny day Saturday July 5.
Yes, Danny Morgan is playing under an umbrella and the rest of the green umbrellas are protecting the food service tables.
A shop is also open next to the bar, a nice shady area
at poolside. I was told to move as it was reserved for tatooing and hair braiding.
So if you wish to enjoy a lounge chair at poolside you have to be in the full sun, and it was so hot that you could not walk with bare feet.
Thee far side covered towards G units has a green plastic roof on it now which makes the area a hot as a hot house.
I am not being facicious, but with all the money we the owners are paying to use Hospitality's pool, our old pool, why can't it be made comfortable for us to use? We could purchase a bunch of umbrellas and spread them around to provide some cover for the owners who are not frequenting the the commercial eating and hair braiding areas?
Our Casa Ybel Hilton office could provide owners with beach chairs and umbrellas for beach and pool use also. We can store them under our own builings with very little supervision?
It does not seem to require that much intelligence to dream up ways of making the owners feel like owners and make owners enjoy more comfortable conditions without spending money at every turn in our own resort?

Re: Re: Re: Recent visit

Carl, You mentioned taking your grandkids to the slide at the Sundial. Are Casa Ybel owners considered guests of the Sun Dial? Or would we be guilty of doing the same as people who come in off the street to enjoy our pool and amenities? I have grandkids and would gladly take them to the slide at Sun Dial if this is allowed?

How did the buffet and Danny Morgan entertainment go during the 4th of July weekend? Was it well attended that Casa Ybel might continue it during the busy summer months? Our week is coming up this Friday and it would be great to have a bar b que provided by the resort for its guests.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Recent visit

Not sure the slide is such a good ideato have again.
We liked it too but it had a habit of getting taken over late in the day by the 'big kids'who had one too many beers and that caused severe dissent with other poolsiders.
I can even remember the 15 metre diving board at the end of the pool....which apparently was used by the 1980 U.S.Olympic team for training in 1978.Apparently the Casa Ybel pool is Olympic regulation size and was perfect for the team.

Danny Morgan was also there on Mothers Day in our May weeks plus they had a BBQ with hotdoga and hamburgers which was provided and billed by the Thistle.
Danny is like the rest of us.......getting over the hill!
We used to go and see him at Chadwicks up at South Seas in the early eighties and we loved his "Sanibel Sunset" song but time is not kind to some music and this year seemed a bit dated and we did not stay long.

Hugh McGowan

When the large shaded area near the G block was damaged by the hurricane, we were told by Hospitality that the city would not allow them to put a covering over it again as that constituted a building (!). To get round that, they were going to grow plants up the sides and on the top to provide a natural roof, which would be acceptable. This sounded great to us, and in the meantime, Hospitality was providing largge umbrellas to shade the sun.

From what has been said, this idea seems to have been forgotten and a rough old top been put on instead - which seems to have countered the original argument.