CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sanibel

Are the noseeums any better or worse at different times of the year?

Re: Sanibel noseeums

I am pretty sensitive to these pests unlike my wife, so I have tried all sorts of things. The last time I was there I went to the local clinic for treatment it was so bad. The doctors there know how to treat noseeums. They gave me an anti-histamine (Clarinex - prescription dose of Claritin}, a steroid cream to help heal the skin bites, and told me to buy a local product called Cactus Juice for prevention. It sounded like snake oil to me but I tried it and it worked. The local pharmacy in the strip that contains the Hungrey Heron {opposite end} is very knowledgable and sell the products. There is one kind of Cactus Juice that contains sunscreen. Bailey's sells it also. After taking the course of treatment from the doctor I was OK in a couple of days. But I also used benedryl cream and other anti-itch products so I could sleep. Witch hazel also helps.

We've been at CasaYbel beginning of December and end of February. No problem in February - I hear they start up around May. December is not good though.

Re: Re: Sanibel noseeums

Thanks for the information. We will give cactus juice a try.

Re: Re: Re: Sanibel noseeums

We gave cactus juice a try for the week we were just on Sanibel. One of us(me)was all bite up and the other one was not. Hopefully there is something stronger on the market the next time we come.