CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Password Protected Form? Is it best?

For what it's worth (which admittedly may not be much to many), I don't think there's much value to this forum being password protected. Other than the periodic rant against Richard Jackson, there really isn't anything much discussed here that needs protection.

Instead, I think that the requirement of the password may actually limit the number of discrete users/viewers of the forum. For example, if someone is an owner and an infrequent casual viewer of the forum, they are unlikely to be willing to register and get a password. As a result, they may be unexposed/unaware to critical issues like the need for more votes in favor of extending the life of FGH, which receive good explanation in the forum.

I would recommend that you consider going back to the public viewing so that key issues become more well-known.

While I don't claim full knowledge of best practices for owner forums, I have been and am currently responsible for internet strategy for a company. The strategy for this forum seems like it will result in a very small, intimate group of owners who already know each other rather than a broad group of owners (who may not be acquainted with each other) who could band together on common issues.

Just some thoughts.

DJF

Re: Password Protected Form? Is it best?

David,

While the password protection requires one to send in a request for a password, it is really quite easy the way it is set up; you just send in a request and Carl or the web master gets back to you. It is important. There have been matters in the past that have been discussed on the forum - and I'm not talking about rants on a particular person - that are the type of subject matter that one doesn't want available for any person browsing around the internet. For example, there was quite a lot of discussion at one point on boardwalks that were being built or torn down in response to an American Disabilities Act legal action. You can imagine all the different reasons why one would not want this sitting on the internet for anyone wandering around the internet (or intentionally looking for such discussion) to view what was said. As a board member I also researched what other timeshare associations do on their internet forums and the ones I contacted and viewed all had passwords, easy ones like here. I think it is a very valuable addition to the forum and I commend Carl for his efforts in this regard. I understand it takes a minute to get into the site, but it is well worth it for the owners.

You make some very good points. My main point is that any "speed-bumps" added in social media or e-commerce reduce the breadth of the audience.

I want to thank you for the tone of your responses.

Pat
There are subjects non-owners need not be made aware of , so I think the password protection was a good idea. What bothers me is that only a small percentage of owners are aware of the site.

Could you write a short article to be included in each SandScript mailing advising the owners of the existence the OWNERS web site? Why is something of this importance being kept such a big secret from the owners???? Thanks

Hello,

I came back to this post because when I first read it I thought this was one of the best posts I have seen on this site in years.

We have password protected a site that gets very little use, if any at all. If Carl is not sending out Emails you can easily count the number of posts in any month on two hands. Normally few people with multiple posts.

Carl you mentioned in an earlier Email about $1.00 a month per owner to maintain this site. I think you mentioned $3500.00 a month. So I assume that means there are 3500 owners. How many requests for passwords have you received?

I check here often for pertinent news about CasaYbel and quite honestly find nothing.

We have just returned from Sanibel Week 35. The place as always is amazing. Also the Noseeums---pardon the spelling are alive and well.

Rich Zylka

Rich - your spelling looks good to me. I agree that since Carl password protected the owner's forum there has beeen absolutely no commentary of value to even bother to look up the password to log on and read. Even with the occasional poor posts we had in the past, at least we had discussions of meaningful value.

I realize some of those discussions probably could have scared off some potential renters, but this is a step in the wrong direction in my estimation.

I personally vote to return to the old non-password protected format.

Let's see how many others respond.

Ron

I still feel that this site should be password protected. However, the password we were given was too complicated, and meant having to look it up each time, so I did not bother.

All we need is a simple password that can be easily remembered without having to look it up. Then,I think, the forum will continue to recieve the usual traffic.

Rich

I do not see how you can say in the same topic that Casa y'bel was great, and that the no-seeums were active. One cancels out the other, and it is the no-seeums that puts off my wife from coming.

I have asked on various occasions for suggestions from members as to how to stop the no-seems, but nobody has, so far, come up with a good answer.