CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Musings From Weeks 51, 52, and 53

We just returned from a very nice 3 week stay at Casa Ybel. Our arrival coincided with the tailend of a significant cold snap which included a few storms. In fact, on our trip down (we drive from Michigan) we were forced to get off I-75 in Dalton, GA due to a major ice storm that resulted in dozens of cars spinning off the freeway from Tennessee to Atlanta. We had intended to drive to Macon. December 2010 was the coldest on record in Southwest Florida, and we experienced many very cold morning beach walking. But, the cold snap kept the no-see-ums at bay, and for the first time I can remember, I arrived home without a single bite. Despite this, the weather was fairly good on Sanibel.

The earlier storms had blown the crab traps into the shallow water just beyond the surf line, which made swimming in the gulf somewhat dangerous. Since my grandchildren look forward to gulf swimming, especially in crashing waves, we needed to get the traps out. The traps extended from well west of Casa Ybel to Sundial. I tried, but could not get anyone to accept responsibility for trap removal from the water, despite the hazard. The best I could get was a commitment from SCCF to remove the traps once they were on shore. I, along with a few passers-by, pulled the traps out for a 200 or so yard stretch in front of our condominium during the morning low tides. They were full of stone crabs. Releasing the crabs was a chore, but quite entertaining. Between the lost traps and the commercial value of the crab claws, I’m sure the owners suffered significant monetary losses.

My first wave of family arrived from California on December 20. Late that night, we crawled out of bed at 2 AM and spent 45 minutes on the beach watching a beautiful lunar eclipse. The following 2 mornings provided excellent shelling, due to the strong low spring tides and earlier storms.

The overall condition of the resort was good, but we found several instances of housekeeping lapses, including a bagged dirty diaper that was at least 2 weeks old, and a number of bottles of personal cosmetics, etc. from previous occupants.

I also had a dozen or so cockroach encounters, including the first German Roaches I’ve seen at Casa Ybel. All but 2 of these sightings were of dead or dying insects, so I believe the resort is applying effective measures. But, until 5 years or so ago, I never saw a roach. The frequency has been gradually increasing each year, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. And, don’t tell me it’s a consequence of global warming (see 1st paragraph).

Now, as to the furniture, I agree that it is out of place. The sofa, in particular, does not seem to fit the overall décor, and the sides are ridiculously high, which means the end tables are unusable. But, I did not find it particularly uncomfortable, and my daughter and son-in-law seemed to think that, as a bed, it was a bit more comfortable that the previous sofa.

The Island Wok has been gone for 3 months or so. Sorry, Paul; I was looking forward to trying it out, also.

The increased security that Lynn Perkins (remember him?) described a few months ago, was, in my view, a major success. I spoke with one of the “guards” several times, and she reported “busting” several parties. More significantly, she said many cars slowly approached where she had stationed herself, and turned around. The security in place during the week before and after Christmas was very visible, and somewhat intimidating to those with trespassing ideas. Unfortunately, this security was in place only through January 1, and we did experience a few interlopers afterward. Maybe that level of security is only warranted for a few weeks of the year, but I continue to believe that some level of visitor screening or parking lot monitoring is required. Security is a core function of our management.

The weather on our last day was probably the crappiest we’ve ever experienced, but the sunset (actually post-sunset) was likely the most spectacular I’ve witnessed in the 31 years I’ve been at Casa Ybel.

Re: Musings From Weeks 51, 52, and 53

Thanks George! I almost felt like I was there.
You have a talent in painting with words.
I was in Indiana over the Christmas season and to a couple of weddings further north in Minniapolis.
Experienced -4 and lots of snow, but enjoyd it a little more hearing the forecasts for Florida.
In a rush right now, but can't wait for your results from being on the beach on December 21.
What was the outcome of your final judgement regarding sunsets on Sanibel, besides the beautiful descriptions of same.
Which way were you looking? Did you have to get on a boat to see the sunset?
OK all you fellows in the September discussions, what was the outcome? Did you, George,meet any of the other
participents and have the great "SKAAL"?

Re: Musings From Weeks 51, 52, and 53

Thank you George for all the info. Too bad about the Island Wok, we were really looking forward to trying it. We have heard of, I think, at least three other new places to try out. Can't wait for April to get here for our glorious weeks on Sanibel.