CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Annual Meeting

Dear Owners:

The 2013 annual meeting is coming up on April 23, I hope that we will have more than a few owners who will take the time to come and participate.

I read all of the minutes of the owner's coffee and note the frequent comments over and above the dust on the top of the doors and behind the dressers (that requires a lot of muscle power) to even discover. But a very frequent request is a TV in the guest bedroom. This year will mark our 34th year to visit CasaYbel in the spring. Believe it or not, we have TV in Kansas and we watch it, BUT we do not have the Gulf of Mexico, the beautiful resort CasaYbel or the delightful late spring climate when we are still freezing in Kansas. Why would we spend the time and money to travel to Sanibel if all we are going to do is watch TV?

Our three daughters are adults in their 50's, when the were in their teens, we toured the United States by cae, visiting 44 states, many National Parks and State Capitols (without any electronic devices, they acquired massive knowledge by looking out the windows while we were driving. Today that early exploring ethic has expanded beyond belief, one daughter has been on every contenient except Antarticia (all job related), one daughter lived in Sweden for 9 months and has been back there, my oldest daughter has been to North and South America, Europe, China and will be going to Bhutan on a trek next month. I have 4 blood grandchildren, one of them has been on only Europe and N. America, the rest have been on three, The point to this ramble is that we need to encourage our children to look beyond TV, Get out into the world and explore. I upsets me to go to almost any public place and note that at least 80% of the teens are texting.

My term expires in 2014, I will NOT be running for election, but I will assure you that I will NOT support a TV in the guest bedroom. Get your kids and/or your guests out to the beach, after dinner they can watch TV in the living area with their hosts. I think I could honestly say that after 34 years, we have watched less than 1 hour a week in our bedroom.

Watch TV at home, when traveling look around or down, I always do. It is interesting how wide the Mississippi valley is. or the chicken farms in Georgia, or the farm race tracks that are around Orlando. You will never see these things while messing with your I-pod, laptop,etc. Dont't get me wrong, I have them all, but I use them only when there is nothing between me and the ground except clouds.

I hope to see as many of you as possible at the annual meeting. As always, it has been a great honor for me to serve as your president for several years, it has been a positive experience, even when I receive less than friendly responses (very infrequently). Hopefully your incoming President will do a better job than I. I have discovered that establishing good public relatations with our owners is the most important part of serving our owners, so long as we are doing our job to assist and support our paid manager.

I'm looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible in a little more than a month.

Lynn L Perkins
President FGH

Re: Annual Meeting

Lynn

I am sorry to see that you will be standing down at the annual meeting next year, as you have served us spendidly during your term of office. You are also the first FGH president to follow this forum and to respond where appropriate.

I remember when you first got elected to the board - in fact, if I remember correctly, you stood against me, so clearly the best man won.

I do hope that the next president will continue your good work in taking note of members concerns on this forum, and continue to respond. Meanwhile, I am pleased to see that we will still have the benefit of your involvement for another year.

Thank you for your service and I agree . . . . we don't need a TV in the guest bedroom. We don't come to CasaYbel to sit inside and watch TV.

Lynn, we often disagree on issues, but not on this one. We never use the TV in the master bedroom, and rarely the one in the living room. There are far better uses of our funds (e.g. interloper policing).