CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wireless Internet at Casa Ybel

Alex,

It's just that Jones and I are over all the whining, complaining, and ridiculous requests.

Internet speed? Are you kidding me?

If you cannot afford to take time off from work, I get that.

But to worry and complain about 3Mb/s with about 50ms average latency, 1Mb/s to 1.5Mb/s with 75-150ms average latency and packet loss, tethering or not tethering, voice over IP, Skype, Facetime, Netflix streaming, remote desktop access, and video games may be the silliest complaint yet.

And, to add insult to you compliant you call it a “deal breaker”. C’mon man this is the beach!

As a long time owner I hope the new board will take over the responsibility to enable our own Wi-Fi or high speed modems on internet connection for all owners to enjoy.
After all, we do own the units,and occupy them as our own property and should decide on our own, what we need to do, or not to do, to occupy time with "after the pool and the beach". Our kids can't stay completely away from x-boxes, and so much is going on in that part of our lives today. Facebook, good or bad, is here to stay.
How did it become the responsibility of the front office to run owners availability of entertainment? We are paying the bills. The cost difference between HD, high speed modems and Wi-Fi is so minimal that 3500 owners will not feel the difference.
Please give us your support to have a little more to say over our vacation pleasures. We are first class, and wish to stay that way.
Why not install "Direct TV" in stead of local commercial cable jobs?
TV in our days is better than we experienced in the last century!
Go for it! you control the cost.
How much is allocated today for Wi-Fi?

Carl J Appelberg

To be fair, Pete, the Internet isn't just slow, it's extremely unreliable (as in dropping 5-10 times per hour). I emphasized that, but you glossed right over it to take the opportunity to demean what I'm saying as if it's non-consequential. Perhaps you and jones have no use of the Internet, but for many of us it's a requisite part of our life and work.

I've been working with the front desk, their technical folks and providing troubleshooting help. It's been five days and the problems are still persisting in what is more than likely a simple gateway or repeater misconfiguration. I could easily fix it for them, but i don't have the access necessary to do so. That being said, I've talked to other guests and they've also been upset by it. In fact when I called the front office about it another guest was in there asking them about why the wireless kept dropping them and why it was so unreliable. Clearly I'm not the only person concerned about a service that used to work just fine becoming extremely unreliable.

On Friday, April 19th the management decided (just before a weekend when technical support was not available) to move from an unencrypted wireless network to a WPA2 protected network, not realizing the resource utilization on the gateway would be so high that it would become practically unusable. At the same time they got rid of the in room VDSL modems that provided a very good connection. This was an extremely poorly planned decision and it caused a lot of headaches.

You don't serve any productive purpose trying to poo poo every complaint as if it has no merit simply because you don't want to hear it. I've been coming to this resort for 27 years, my family owns three weeks here and I feel there's absolutely no reason for you guys to pile on someone with a legitimate gripe, rather than offer some constructive feedback. It makes what could otherwise be a productive forum seem more like a playground for people that come off as shills for Casa Ybel, downplaying every complaint.

I agree with Carl that we could have much better Internet with a minimal increase in fees. Casa Ybel, per their own admission, shares a 50Mb/s (download) Comcast business cable modem account over 150 units. Each wireless user is given access to nearly 100% of the bandwidth with no real QoS (quality of service protocol prioritization). That means just a few users can tie up the entire network.

Yes, the beach is amazing. It's one of the many reasons I come here. I also enjoy the natural surroundings and all the great hiking / kayaking / photography opportunities. That being said, it's nice to be able to check one's e-mail, video call one's family at home, or do some remote work in the evening. After all, how many people are lounging on the beach after dark?

So we can agree to disagree on this issue, but don't simply try to shut down a legitimate gripe because you're tired of hearing complaints. No one is forcing you to read every post, let alone respond to them. I've seen so many forums go the route of being ruined by trolls. One thing that always helps (hint hint Carl) is forcing users to register and allowing them to upvote / downvote other posts. That way if someone is trolling they have to use their real account (for fear of being banned) and their peers can decide whether or not the post will be visible.

At any rate, I hope things improve at Casa Ybel. Not only is the Internet service poor, but the customer service was also pretty abysmal. It took four days for them to respond to my query and they're still stumbling over resolving what is ultimately a simple configuration problem.

Welcome to the forum, Alex. Yes, we are infested with trolls. These 2 are residents, but there have been many transients over the years. Issues brought up are attacked and ridiculed as “complaining”. Paraphrasing one of our presidents emeriti, I guess that would depend on the meaning of “complain”. In essence, they, too, are complaining.

I have a bit of a problem with the “Don’t worry; be happy” tack that they seem to be advocating. I wonder what they do, or did, for a living. Eschewing improvement is not a recipe for success. I agree with you that the internet connection is abysmal and quite outdated. It is annoying, but, being one of those retired, geriatric (but not usually inebriated) individuals, it is not a major issue for me. I do understand your need, though. But, of course, it is not consistent with their values, so they attack it. Someday, for entertainment, scroll through past contributions of “jones”. I cannot remember a positive, or helpful, posting from him, and he has many. Some are mildly amusing, but most are a chore to plow through, due to his childish and punctuation-challenged syntax. Petey is somewhat more articulate, but just as inane (my opinion). We all have different schedules, routines, and activities that we pursue, and, therefore, we have different hot button issues. These two either cannot comprehend that, or just want to ridicule those who are different.

I think some “contributors” have lost sight of one of the key reasons for this forum, i.e. to highlight issues that might need attention, and have a rational discussion concerning them.

George,

Excluding the thief alert, tell us one complaint that has resulted in a change or positive outcome for the whole, other than of course Jones' and Petey's humor.

What you don't seem to get and I know you will soon forget is that we are mocking you and your ilk.

So much for Southern hospitality. jones, Pete and Sarah seem like very unpleasant people. I bet you have a different face in public and with your friends, and then show your worst side here. Typical of people who can only hide behind their computers. Why don't we meet in person and discuss this matter when we're all at the resort and we can see who wants to talk this way to eachother then?

By the way, do you guys work for Hilton or are you generally this loyal to corporations over your own interests?

Anyway, you guys may want to consider the fact that you don't have to post if you don't have anything nice to say. Perhaps your mothers didn't teach you that.

Of course you’re mocking me and “my ilk”. You folks are not the least bit subtle. I don’t generally have a problem with that; I can hold my own. I do dislike it when it gets personal, though.

I have really only issued one complaint, regarding the freeloaders, or interlopers that we see at the beach and in the pool area. Before hastily posting something that will be incorrect and/or revealing of your intelligence, look back at my postings in the archives. I suggest you read that complaint, posted in January, 2009, and the following postings in the thread. I then worked with each of the board members and Chris Cain to get commitments for action. I can only speak for the weeks we are at Casa Ybel, but there has been an enhanced security presence as a result. It isn’t 100%, but it is a major improvement from previous years.

Further, most of the serious postings on this forum are searching for information. Again, if you look at my past input, you would see that I have often provided that. Never have I given a snarky response to a serious question or issue. Jones, Pete, et al, usually do, and, to my recollection, have never offered useful input.

Now, Ms. Sunshine, it appears this is your first posting, or you are using a nom de plume (Ann?). You probably should, in the future, become a little more versed in the subject at hand before posting your comments. I think, if you were honest with yourself, you would see that I generally make positive postings. The major exceptions are when I respond to others who have ridiculed me, or others, when inappropriate.

As to Alex’s original posting, which set off this latest surge of comments after a fairly long period of quiescence, he was identifying a legitimate issue, in my opinion. Certainly, people can dispute his viewpoints, but not the facts. The internet service at the resort is anachronistic, and should be improved. I don’t think Alex expects to have the level of service he gets at his home or place of business, and neither do I. To say that we don’t come to Casa Ybel to spend our time on the computer is true, but irrelevant. We don’t come to Casa Ybel to go to the bathroom, either, but we sure expect certain amenities in that regard, even though an outhouse would be functional.

George, you make it so easy.

Outhouses are becoming a bit iffy since sears roebuck no longer puts out a catalogue and corncobs are in short supply due to the increased production of ethanol any way i aalways enjoyed the interlopers if they had on brazialian bikinis

It appears that he answered your challenge quite well, Sara. Give it up. You are coming across as a twit.

Anything get resolved?

No. Nothing has been resolved. The issue persisted until the last day. I gave up working with the management because they were unresponsive. Having your wireless drop out every 5-10 minutes and take 3-4 minutes to reconnect is poor service. I don't come to Casa Ybel to spend time on the Internet, but the Internet should be usable, as should any other amenities that are advertised or expected.

Perhaps other guests will be upset and complain as well. There were at least 4-5 other guests that I knew of, having talked to them, that had the same problem. A few did take it up with the front office while I was there. I guess this is what we get when people like jones and Pete are more than delighted with sub-optimal customer service.

I did e-mail Chris Cain, Hilton Management, etc. They seem content with their sloppy wireless system that's practically unusable for many guests.

So if you're coming to Casa Ybel and you'd like to use the Internet, bring your own Internet access device. Don't expect the resort wireless to work. And the old Ethernet option has been removed. There are plenty of other resorts that have working wireless on the island, though...

I was worried about the messages on this board about the internet but we checked in yesterday and we haven't had a problem. To answer Mark Gates, yes I think so.

In other words U do not want to here any complaints about your complaint

Alex,

Just because the internet does not work exactly as you would like, does that mean there is a problem? I think not.

The internet works just fine for me, and the cell phone is particularly nice to take photographs.

No one - me, you, or anyone else is too important. Once you realize that and start focusing on what is truly important - only then will you become a successful in my opinion.

You get one shot in this life to make a difference and one, two, or maybe three weeks a year to spend vacation with your family with no soccer games, swim meets, business dinners, homework, Xbox, and so on….As Jones suggested, put all that technology crap away and try and enjoy yourself and family.

Think about that and your silly complaints.

I'm sure the problem is temporary. We were there a few weeks ago, we had great internet service. It was fast and reliable. We brought laptops, smart phones, an iPad and even hooked up our Slingbox so we could watch all our home games in Sanibel. No issues whatsoever. It would be nice to not "need" all this technology but it's part of life now.

because success has nothing to do with listening to others or helping a fellow human out! wow you guys really set the bar low here. are you really owners or do you work for hilton?

http://imgur.com/mFx0iub

Pete,

I can never tell whether your posts are meant to be read seriously or not. It's hard to take someone seriously who makes a point of offering advice about success and one's family, almost as if they have a bit of a personal stake in the matter.

Did you neglect you and yours only to realize later on that it was a mistake? Is that echo of the past so haunting that you feel the need to bring it up over and over again as if to help others avoid your mistakes?

I can tell you are probably much, much older than I am, but in all likelihood not wiser. You are assuming a lot about me that is entirely off base. That's okay, though, I know trolls want to get in to someone's head and rile them up. The problem is I've been around the Internet long enough to see people like you and jones lurking around every corner.

You folks are what is wrong with forums like this and you aren't doing anyone any favors telling them how to live their lives with your baseless advice. Have fun trolling. It's obviously a sign of insecurity with yourselves that you have to try to artificially enhance your self confidence by attacking others and the validity of what they are saying.

That said, I've worked in IT for 17 years now and I can tell you this is a serious problem with their network. If they didn't offer "free resort wide wireless" I'd have no qualms with a system that doesn't work, but the fact is false advertising for services we do pay for (let's face it, nothing is free) should be taken seriously. It's also rather amusing, as George so correctly pointed out, that you and jones take it upon yourselves to complain about complaining! Get over yourselves, gentlemen. You belong under a bridge, not on this forum.

The wi fi is not very good
Every time we used FaceTime it kept freezing and reconnecting
Must be fixable by someone
It is not a huge deal breaker for me but it could/ should be improved somehow
The Hilton Grand Vacations Tuscany in Orlando had great wi fi
Surely they can duplicate here since we are part of the family?or at least lend their expertise
I am here at Casa now and will talk to Chris at the owners meeting and see what he says

Talked to Christine (Chris Cain assistant)
She said it was a Comcast issue and they were not being very helpful in resolving the lack of bandwidth
Really needs to be fixed as it is much worse than when each unit had a modem inside
I guess we have to wait and see what happens
They are trying to resolve the issue with Comcast

Poor internet quality seems to be a problem with many resorts all over the world. Generally it is the fault of the provider rather than the resort itself.

The answer is quite simple really. The resort pays a lot of money to the provider (in this case, Comcast)to provide a service, so if they are not providing that service to an appropriate standard, they can be sued for breach of contract. I would recomend that Casa Y'bel threatens to do just that unless Comcast resolves the issue. Meanwhile, the subscription to them should be witheld, and any saving can be refunded to the owners.