CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: This website is dead, why?

Been away for awhile checking on my feathered friends...Love the conversation and disagreements.

Any thought to the new 50" TV's disappearing out the back doors? Now that would be interesting...

I've been down on the additional TV's for quite some time, but those in opposition, many of whom populate this blog, have insisted on adding 2nd and 3rd TV's for years. You are getting what you want and now complaining further. Jones is dead-on, nothing will make some of you happy.

As for the interlopers - who gives a ****? They have been there for years and will keep coming. Why? Because the place looks great, AND, there is a cool pool-side bar!

Welcome back, Pelican (I think).

Third paragraph: I really cannot recall anyone on this “blog” (it’s not really a blog) advocating more TVs. Regardless, you are best-balling the responses. Nobody who has asked for more TVs has complained about getting them. There are 2 camps, and the camp wanting more TVs has won. Jones is not dead-on; his opinion should be restated to “nothing will make everyone happy”, and that is true. But some things will make some people happy, and they will be different for different folks.

Fourth paragraph: It seems that you are acknowledging that there is a significant interloper population, and that you think that is just ducky. The first part is a fact; the second is an opinion, which you are entirely justified in having, as am I with my opinions. I continue to believe that the issue is important to the resort. It’s interesting that I expended energy 4 years ago on this issue, and managed to get some level of relief, but it has been the likes of you, jones (and his surrogates), sara, and other forgettable luminaries who keep bringing the topic up. I guess it’s my albatross.

But, we drift from what has become the important issue that has been buried in this thread, which is whether some improved security (e.g. outdoor locks) should be considered. Summarizing for you, Petey (because you have been busy tending to your flocks): we have had many thefts at the resort in the past year or so. Most could have been prevented if the owners had locked up. But, we who purchased the smaller, lower level units did so largely for the convenience of beach access. We can lock the unit up and go out the parking lot side, or use a chain lock to lock the screen door. I do, and have done so in all the years we have come to Casa Ybel. But I (and my wife, especially) are quite paranoid about theft. Also, it is a bit inconvenient and greatly mitigates the advantage of the lower units.

So, Petey, put on your serious feathers and weigh in as to whether money is better spent on bigger and more TVs, or improved security measures, such as outdoor locks for the porches.

Surely, the simplest way to prevent thefts is to have locks on the outside of the pation doors. It is easy enough for one or two keys to be held by members of the family, and easy enough to unlock the doors when going back in. I quite agree with George that this would be a valuable item for expenditure, and should not cost that much.

Interlopers cause two potential problems. 1) They reduce security as non members can potentially cause thefts, and 2) They use facilities belonging to members, which then restricts the use of those facilities to those legitimately in residence.

George et al,

If I had it my way, I would:

get rid of ALL the TV's, internet access, and telephones, reinstall the slide, hire lifeguards so we could insure the pool and slide, hire a guard to monitor the front driveway, get rid of the turtle patrols on the beach, plant the entire resort in Bermuda grass like behind Thistle Lodge, reduce the toll onto the island, install far less noisy A/C handlers in the units, add covered parking in the parking lots, install new grills, bring back the sail boat rentals, add live music around the pool every Friday and Saturday afternoon, shoot anyone caught stealing, open Snook season year-round, and finally - have a beer with all of you!

Petey, I’m with you on about half of your wants. Shooting the thieves (and interlopers) and celebrating with a beer are especially precious.

Now, as to your earlier post asking “who gives a ****?”, concerning the interloper issue; I know you meant it rhetorically, but I will answer anyway. It appears a lot of people do, and, in my opinion (again), you should also. Do you have this same philosophy while at home? Is it OK for strangers to come up your driveway and use your bathroom, sit on your lawn, use your swimming pool (if you have one), etc.? Would you object to them setting up lawn chairs and coolers in your front yard and playing loud rap on their boom boxes? If nothing else, this situation detracts from the desirability of owning a unit at Casa Ybel, and thus affects resale value.

Your fatalistic view is wrong. While we might not be able to completely eliminate the problem (here, I’m repeating what I have said many times), we can greatly reduce it. And, major progress can be made quite cheaply. As with nearly everything, the closer we get to a full solution, the more it will cost. Which, surprise, circles us back to the issue of how our funds are spent (e.g. TVs or security). One TV is a competitive necessity. Two? Who knows (I have never used our bedroom TV, so I don’t think it was money well spent. Three is over the top.

Pete, for once I agree with you - except that I would retain one TV in the living room, and have a security guard and barrier at the resort entrance.

Good to see you are coming round to our way of thinking.

I don't know where you live, but would you ask yourself this question "would I leave my house and leave it unlocked, would I feel that there was no chance that I would not have unwanted 'visitors' while I was gone? I'm sorry to say,but there is no way that you can be abolutly sure that your property inside your unit is safe unless some responsible person locks both doors when you leave the unit. Your board of directors CANNOT be responsible for your carelessness. I am extremly sorry that our public morality has declined to the point that nothing is safe unless locked up! Beaches on Sanibel are open to anyone who gets on them and people who want to steal know many ways to locate units that are open and fair game. I live in Kansas, which is not known for crime, but they have begun advertising a radio spot, aimed mostly to automobiles that is 'lock it, remove it or lose it'. Unforunity the only real solution is to LOCK THE DOORS when you leave your unit!!

Lynn L Perkins

Lynn, I don’t disagree with much of what you said, but you have sidestepped the issue earlier highlighted in this thread. A better means of locking the lower unit porches from the outside is needed, so that the benefits of the lower unit porches can be better realized. It isn’t a dire inconvenience to lock the porch door and exit via the parking lot entrance, but it certainly is annoying, and it does reduce an advantage of the lower units. I, and apparently many others, would like to see a serious attempt at a solution.

Also, Lynn, while I have your attention; Could you please answer the question in my August 11 post (reiterated in my August 15 post)?

Lynn, Thank you for all your hard work, truly. I also believe that Casa Ybel is the best resort on the island. And a large part of that is due to people like you who have stepped forward to represent us. Thank you. I check in every now and then but traffic on this page has come to a swift halt. It's a shame because it's a wonderful sight to interact with other owners. However, you shall be missed and again, thank you for all your dedication.
Cecilia

Here is a solution...

Let's install safes in the closest of the master bedrooms.

Tom, you are an idiot and probably deserved to be robbed.

Hey pelican there are wall safes in the master bedroom but you have to use them

Hey Jones and Pelican............ The G.D. safe was broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your insightful comments. Again, people spewing crap without knowing any info.

By the way, LYNN chose to contact me personally (I have no idea why). My suggestion was to get a local locksmith to come look at the doors to see what it would cost to have exterior locks put on. It never happened!!!

Tom

Safes in the closet, good suggestion, they are already there and have been for several years, use them!!!

Well, one reason this site is “dead” could be the verbal assaults that are spewed. I am interested in how this site has “increased Carl’ income”. Carl?

I agree that Casa Ybel is a great resort; possibly the best on the island. But, in the area of security, I believe we are lacking, and Tom’s suggestion/desire for an outdoor lock for the porches on the lower level is spot on. I read with dismay that improvements to the interiors of the units will include a 50” (in lieu of 32”) TV in the living room and an added TV in the 2nd bedroom. I, personally, think it is absurd for a 600 sqft unit on a beachfront resort on what is, arguably, the finest subtropical island in the country to have 3 TVs. I believe that, given the choice between an added TV and improved security, including an outdoor lock for the lower level porches, a majority would opt for the security improvements. Certainly the folks on the lower level would. I would have liked to have had a voting opportunity.

If, in the future, we are looking for ways to spend our excess funds, I wish we would consider security improvements.

Sounds like we just spend money to be spending money. Why we need 3 TV's is beyond me. Who makes these decisions? Sounds like our Government!!!

hey georgie boy count the listings and multiply by50 counting the listings there now gives almost10,000 dollars and quite a few have been removed. I remember one of these threads where lynn said he would not support a third tv but a lot of owners wanted them i too see no need fora50 incher or a third tv. Asfor security the current problem is the only one i have ever heard about in all the years casa has been there and i do not share your obsession about a few interlopers. I guess we could hire armed guards and dogs but why

Hey Slippery boy, anyone tell you that your writing style is jonesesque? I’m not sure what your point is regarding the $10K.

You might not have heard about other security issues, but they have occurred. We’ve had thefts in our building (H) in prior years, as well as car break-ins. Also, describing my concern about interlopers as an obsession seems a bit extreme. If you will recall, when I introduced the issue in January, 2009, there were other responses recounting similar experiences, and, keep in mind, participants in this forum are a small subset of owners. The board agreed that some level of security enhancement was warranted, and a limited level of parking lot surveillance was implemented. This helped, but, of course, didn’t completely solve the problem. A complete solution is probably unachievable, but more can be done.

I’m curious as to whether you do not believe me when I say that Casa Ybel has a large number of people who are non-residents/guests but use our parking lot and facilities, or do you not believe that doing so is a problem?

There have been several postings comparing the level of security at Casa Ybel with other resorts, and we don’t seem to measure up.

The point of my posting was that I would rather have beefed up security than upgraded TVs and other dubious expenditures. That’s my opinion and I was expressing it.

I agree about the 3rd TV, I would not have voted for it, if I had been able to participate in the entire meeting. When we put in the smaller flat screen, I tried to get the board to get rid of the ugly armoire and get a larger screen, but I was voted down,so now we are going to pay more for not doing it right the first time. We never spent much time watching TV at Casa Ybel, we can do that at home, Kansas doesn't have beaches and really good seafood restaurants.
Thanks for taking part in this discussion.

Lynn

Lynn, aren't you glad you opened this discussion?

I am responding with a typical polical answer, yes and no! Yes because there has been constructive comments about our beautiful resort, both positive and negative, which are useful to the Board in making decisions. No because my my goal for the web site is getting information for the Board and not to provide a forum for owners to ridicule other owners for spelling, grammar and make other insulting comments!!
I sincerely believe that all-in-all communications to this site have been helpful, I am sad that some owners enjoy insulting each other with words they wouldn't express face to face.

Lynn

Lynn

I am afraid that it is the anonymous posters who ridicule the serious contributors, and make a mockery of this site. I hope that something will be done to prevent them, such as requiring an email address before accepting conributions.

I am glad to see, however, that the serious comments are taken into account by the board.

Paul,

You are so correct - how dare they?

I am shocked shocked that people are using false names where are the stocks when you really need them.? Please excuse me i need to lie down with acool clothe on my brow

That is just what I mean!

I'm confused, what do you mean Paul?

I can't believe that I, who does not even own a unit at Casa Ybel is allowed to post on this website. This website should be login and password protected so owners are not displaying their dirty laundry for the public to view. I would have second thoughts purchasing at Casa Ybel after reading all the negative stuff posted here. Unbelievable!