CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: elevators

You have some valiad points and add the ease of taking luggage, food, etc. up to your door. As far as the Board is concerned, to get it on the agenda, we would have to show support and if you read some of the replies, you will see most people would rather struggle up 29 stairs and save the money. I also own at the Lighthous and they have an elevator and in 34 years, we encountered one day, in the middle of the week, where the elevator was not in operation. The state does several inspection each year. I am convinced that these near sighted people who responded prefer $$$$ over safty and convience. We need support and right now I don't see it happening.

If I were on the board I would put a BIG BOLD addition to NUMEROUS newsletters out to residents before it goes in front of the board asking for owners to show their support or non-support by sending an email to: __________________, or calling in to speak to _______________________ to record their opinion.

I feel something like this is very important and we should not take only the small voices here as the spoken word. Think about it . . . most of the elder owners who may WANT an elevator, may not even be on this forum (makes sense).

One of my dear friends in as elevator salesman. May I have him contact someone for a quote? I only need a name, and he will do all the work.

I think the value on these units would at least DOUBLE if there were elevators. Just my opinion.

I happily volunteer my services to the board to brainstorm, and or collect support/or non-support opinions for this very important decision. I would never want to give my opinion though, until I had an estimated cost for installation and maintenance/inspections, etc., as that does come into play if it were a really astronomical number. But if it were only a total of $500 spread out over 5 years - I WOULD VOTE YES!!!!! Totally worth the value we will receive for our units over the long run whether by additional rental income, or overall sales price. The improvement will pay for itself.

While we are at it...

I propose a conveyor belt system out to the beach. We are all getting older and soon will not be able to walk to the beach. Our wheel chairs may get stuck in the sand too. Our units will triple in value. I have no support for that, but it has to be so...

Next, how about a conveyor belt from the parking lot to the elevators? I for one am tired of walking, rolling luggage, carrying groceries, etc. It works in the airport, so why not our parking lot. I can’t support the value enhancement, but certainly the units will increase 5 fold...

Your can't expect me to keep cooking my own meals either. I’m getting too old and all my groceries are still in the parking lot, so I propose hiring full-time cooks. Now our unit values will skyrocket! The cooks could also guard our units because I like to leave the doors open and hundreds of dollars laying around the unit. The cooks could share in guarding the pool from time-to-time to kick all the dogs and kids out too. I’m willing to kick in $1,000 per week how about you?

Finally, it is so darn hot in Florida, so lets explore adding air conditioning pool and beach side. Just think about it...we will have elevators, cooks, conveyor belts and now unsightly air conditioning units all over the place. We will be the envy of the beach!

Any other brilliant ideas?

I'm sure the disabled veterans I have would love your comments. Nice.

Lisa,

How do you know I am not a disabled veteran? And, never once has this issue been about disable veterans. There are laws protecting our rights to access!

How do you roll up your stairs if you are a disabled vet? Just curious. I believe you know what I am saying. And all of your other "conveyor belt" suggestions, are just as overboard as you claiming you have the same disability as say "someone who has no legs and is wheelchair bound." If you did, unless you have someone carrying you up and down the stairs, or hoisting you over the rails . . . you are not visiting your property at Casa Ybel.

So let's compare apples to apples and have an intelligent and honest discussion. Your overboard suggestions are not helpful.

If you don't want elevators, that's fine. I respect your decision as everyone has one an is entitled. The thought on this board, that if an opinion varies from another, that we must get off topic and rude - shows the sincere lack of education and insight to discuss the matter rationally and productively.

Good day sir.

Pete...you are a funny man but very nasty. If you can't submit your objections in a rational or reasonable manner, please don't respond. You are making light on this subject and although constructed critizem is welcomed, a comicial review is not. I agree with Lisa.

I agree with Tom and Sheila. The fees at Casa Y'bel are already the highest that I know of, and I would not be prepared to pay an additional $99 per week ($198 for my two weeks) per year for the next five years. If you can find the cost from savings in the budget without increasing the fees, then that could be worth considering. Although, if that could be done, I would rather see the fees reduced.

I also think that installing elevators would spoil the whole look of the buildings.

Points well taken...however if money is your main reason, than changing your mind would be impossible. I on the other hand consider that to be money well spent. I guess we can agree to disagree.

I agree with Paul and to some extent Petey.

Management/Maintenance cannot even keep the grills in good working condition. Also, no one has addressed on-going maintenance costs of elevators, equipment room requirements, permitting issues, etc. And, what about the increase in valuations and real estate taxes - add those onto the unknown annual maintenance fees. Another comment...If elevators are so needed and appropriate, then why were they not included in the original construction? And, why weren't the original owners dissuaded from purchasing way back then?

I GIVE UP....ALL NEGITIVE, WHICH IS EASY HOWEVER CHANGING THE GLASS SHOWER DOORS TWO YEARS AFTER THE HURRICANE BECAUSE OF "SAFTY" GATHERED NO NEGITIVE. I AM THROUGH, PLEASE LET THE SLEEPING DOG SLEEP. THANKS.

If one is making a decision based on money . . . think of the additional revenue that will be created by the higher demand. Opening your unit up to everyone instead of just some will always result in higher demand and less supply... BOTH on the rental and sales sides.

I'm not saying I am FOR elevators without seeing a budget to install and a budget to maintain. I'm just saying I feel it is worth getting a free estimate so owners can review and make an informed decision instead of just assuming.

Believe me, if the cost per unit to install and maintain is too high - it won't have my vote either. Would just love to know the costs is all.

Lisa,
If your looking for rental income or investment property, buy a townhouse in your neighborhood!!!! CASA YBEL was not intended for this purpose. It was meant as a vacation destination for people to return to year after year. We've owned for almost 20 years now and have only not visited twice. Once because of Charlie, and once we went to Hawaii.

If at some point when I become unable to make it up the steps, then I probably can't do the other things on Sanibel as well. So be it, and pass it on to the next generation who can enjoy. It will have been a good run.

Good for you Tom! Why don't you spend your money the way you want, and I'll spend my money the way I want. There are plenty of people who rent their units out, or who trade their units out through RCI. And . . . there are people like YOU AND I who have never missed a year since they bought their timeshares.

However, as an owner of ANY property . . . I like to have all my options available to me, and know that all the options are lucrative or a break even.

I don't take kindly to your tone. I would never start a conversation with you like that. Have some respect and appear to be a wee bit educated and mature.

Lisa,

I have no idea what you meant to communicate...

JUST RETURNED FROM TWO WEEKS..UNIT 190 - 29 STEPTS + 14 MORE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM OR BED. I GET NO POSITIVE RESPONSES TO ELEVATORS, ESPECELLY FROM THE YOUNG, ABLE, AND THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO PAY ANY INCREASES IN THEIR ANNUAL FEES. I GET IT! BUT SO OFTER OUR GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LOOK PAST THE PRESENT AND FUTURE NEEDS ARE NOT PLANNED. WE ARE DOING THE SAME. FOR 34 YEARS I HAVE BEEN SEEKING FILTERED WATER FOR THE UNITS. IT NEVER CAME AND I DON'T EXPECT IT TO EVER COME. HOWEVER IT SEEMS THAT EVERY OTHER SITE THAT I VISIT OR OWN (LIGHTHOUSE) HAS FILTERED WATER. SEVERAL SITES ARE NOW INSTALLING ELEVATORS AND FOR MORE REASONS THAN "OLD PEOPLE." MANY PROVISIONS WERE MADE AFTER THE HURRICANE TO ACCOMADATE THE HABDICAPED BUT SOMEHOW CASA WAS SPARRED ELEVATORS. NOT SURE WHY. THE DISABILITY ACT WILL CATCH CASA YBEL IN THE FUTURE AND WE WON'T BE PREPARED. ALL I AM INTERESTED IS IS A FACT FINDING FEASIBILITY STUDY TO DETERMINE THE BEST POSSIBLE ANSWER. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT WE DO IT "NOW" BUT TO BE PREPARRED FOR THE FUTURE. PLEASE DON'T THINK THE ONLY REASON FOR ELEVATORS IS FOR OLD PEOPLE! YOU ARE CORRECT, WHEN YOU GET OLD YOU PROBABLY WON'T ENJOY TO ACTIVITIES ON THE ISLAND THAT YOU DO NOW. THANKS FOR LISTENING.Vnnrsa

Ihave not been on this site in quite awhilebut could not resist! I reread all this laughed some cried some and decide I would weigh in. First I am 80 years old and by the grace of God active and able to use my unit at casa.
I first looked at the cost quoted and became quite perplexed 1479x99=146, 421x5=732,105 dollars over 5 years! How is income over 8million? Next if the elevators only? cost 80000 they must be going to install 100 elevators!!
If this were pursued Casa FGH would need a minimum of 4 and possibly as many as 7. Regardless of what was told you there is no way an elevator could be installed for 80, 000dollars. The elevator box (the part you ride in) requires many other parts plus a housing around the shaft, a device to push/pull it up and down, a way to connect it to the buildings, all the other equipment including the electric power equipment. In addition as noted ongoing inspection maintenance and repair.
80, 000 I think that is apipe dreame or maybe one of those funny cigarettes dream!! Lol