Compendium | Team Previews | About Us | Contact
Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Mark Kotsay Trade

Mark Kotsay, marginal major league talent at this point, in exchange for Jamie Richmond and Joey Devine.

Devine dominated double-A and triple-A to the tune of 78K/19BB and a 1.89 ERA in 57 innings as a closer, while all Richmond has done is post 162K/32BB and a 2.48 ERA in 217.1 low minor league innings.

I have no real problem with trading Devine and Richmond, but to trade them away for nothing is shocking.

Now, the A's will be paying "more than half" of Kotsay's 2008 salary, which will be $8 million. But why not just spend the extra five million and go get Mike Cameron for a year?

For that matter, why not just sign Corey Patterson for 3 million dollars and keep your pitching prospects?

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Re: Mark Kotsay Trade

Do you really think that Cameron minus 25 games is worth $4-5 million more than Kotsay???

For that matter, do you really think that Patterson, who is a Boras client and made $4.3 M last year, could be had for 1-year, $3M???

Do I think Cameron minus 25 games is worth more than Kotsay?

My answer to that stems from what may be a huge underestimation of Mark Kotsay, but I don't expect Kotsay to play 150 games next year. I don't expect 100.

However, this is the same team that gave Scott Thorman to prove he couldn't hit any better than Andres Thomas, so anything is possible.

However, I don't expect Kotsay to be a full time major leaguer next year, so yes, I think Cameron would be worth not giving up two apparent stud pitchers.

And, as far as Patterson goes, he really doesn't deserve a major league contract next year. However, you are probably right, he will probably get at least five million based on the fact that he stole 37 bases last season and he will only be 28 in 2008.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Hell, why not sign Nook Logan?

My point is, there are lots of mediocre centerfielders who haven't proven themselves in the last three seasons. Why opt for the one who requires you to give up two good pitching prospects.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

I suppose that it comes down to how healthy Kotsay is, but I don't think there were any centerfield options both as good and as cheap as Kotsay on the free agent market. And as you alluded to earlier, I'm not sure how great the prospects the Braves lost actually were.

Joey Devine - 45.7 IP, 686 ERA (new record?)
Jamie Richmond - 7-11, 4.79 ERA, 98/27 K/BB, 16 HR in 163.1 IP

Mark Kotsay - 110 games, 6 HR, 49 RBI, .276/.329/403
Mike Cameron - 120 games, 25 HR, 70 RBI, .243/.331/.477

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

I'd have given up Devine NOT to have Corey Patterson.

Patterson - .205/.238/.344

Shoot, I meant 686 ERA for Devine. Enormous diff between 6.86 ERA and 686 ERA .

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Devine's 0.59 ERA in more than 40 IP is an all-time record, breaking you-know-who's mark of 0.61 in 1990.

What, no comment about his four unearned runs?

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Okay, I used the " " symbol four times in my last couple of posts. Does it not work in the forum?

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Wow, it doesn't. How have we never noticed that?

I think everyone gets that I meant "plus".

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Doesn't Buck O'Brien have Devine beat?

Greatest (Non Infinity) OPS(plus) seasons of all time:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/gd27

Sorry for the non link, if somebody wants to tell me the html tags to make that a link, I'll use them from now on.

Aha. Baseball-reference.com > Chicago Tribune

Or maybe they just disqualified him based on the seven unearned runs.

Holy Crap.

I didn't even notice that.

We had information regarding how to do HTML tags on the Fan Forum, and no matter how I phrased it people couldn't get it.

Try this Tom: Everytime you do an HTML tag, you need code inside of brackets, < >, and then you need the words you want to be the link, "check this out". Finally, you need a tag to indicate that the link is to stop, which is almost always []

So, in your case, you start with the code:

"[
then you put the address:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/gd27

then you close the code:

"[>]"

Then you put your link language:

"Check this out"

The you put your closing tag:

"[
]"

The whole thing looks like this:

"[Check this out]"

Minus the quotes and outside brackets []

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

That didn't work at all.

The idea is this:

Inside the first <> goes this:

a href=http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/gd27

Then comes your language

Then you close with /a inside brackets <>

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Thanks.

But my point regarding Buck O'Brien was going to be that unearned runs were hugely common back in the day.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

That they were, though generally not in a 7:2 ratio to earned runs.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Web Tools