Compendium | Team Previews | About Us | Contact
Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Yankees pitching staff

What are the odds that, barring a Santana trade, by July 1st the Yankees rotation will be Chien-Ming Wang, Mike Mussina, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and Kei Igawa/Tyler Clippard?

This will definitely be the first season in a long time that I can allow myself to be excited about Yankees pitching.

That said, all the pitching in the world won't help you if you can't play defense behind it. It is a real shame that the Yankees are so committed to Derek Jeter at shortstop, because I am now convinced that Jeter, more than ever, is going to cost the Yankees greatness. It is one thing when you have mediocre pitching, but when the pitching talent is there, it becomes absurd to not be able to support them on defense.

What a fine centerfielder Jeter would be.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Re: Yankees pitching staff

Someone in that organization needs to get Robin Yount to take Jeter out and talk about center field over some tacos.

What happened to Pettitte?

Aye, indeed. A fine question for Mr. Chancey.

I'm a big Ian Kennedy fan myself.

Jeter and Arod both aren't going to get any better defensively on that left side, and they were both pretty terrible last year.

And as for their terrible defense on the left side of the infield; yes they suck. Find a better offensive left side of the infield. A-Rod will make up for his defense easily, and Jeter, well not so much.

Perhaps someone who has studied the issue can make more of this than I can, but bad third base defense bothers me a lot less than bad shortstop defense.

And A-Rod WILL make up for his defense on offense because he is a merely mediocre third baseman. Jeter is no where near the offense force A-Rod is, and he is a terrible fielder.

As for Pettitte: he is going to be 36, without his buddy, having been mediocre four of the last five years and having pitched over 200 innings for the last three years, and coming off of the Mitchell Report controversy. In all likelihood, he will pitch 200 innings and win 15 games with a 4.10 ERA, but I also think he could due for a rough season.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Oh yeah, I agree with Rich by the way. Screw Tyler Clippard. Let's put Ian Kennedy in instead, he looks dominant.

He managed to pitch dominant baseball at A, AA, AAA, and the Majors last year. How many guys can say they dominated four levels of baseball in one year?

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Kennedy pithed what, 20 innings last year?

And if you think Pettitte will pith 200 innings and a 4.10 ERA, what do you think Mussina will do? One think
I know that he won't do is pitch 200 innings.

Bad defense is worse at SS. Jeter's offense at SS is almost as good at SS, if not equal to how bad bad defense is at SS.

Did that make any sense?

I believe you meant you agreed with Keith.

And just to throw this in there, from what I've noticed by looking at just a few years worth of numbers, a third baseman will field roughly 200-250 fewer balls than will a shortstop over the course of a season.

Up the middle defense is always more important than corner defense.

"Jeter's offense at SS is almost as good at SS, if not equal to how bad bad defense is at SS."

No, that does not make sense, but I am fascinated.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

And if what you are trying to say is that the value of Jeter's "good" on offense is equivelent to the value of his "bad" on defense, I absolutely and completely disagree.

Again, this might be something that someone else has studied more, but I would guess that a hit by a shortstop is no where near as a valuable as a hit on a ball that the shortstop should have gotten to.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

You kind of get what I'm saying. And it depends on what metric we use. If I were to use batting and fielding runs it shows his offense out weights his bad defense.

Of course FR aren't the best metric.

I think that batting, fielding, and pitching runs are all useful metrics, but it always gives me a major dose of "that doesn't seem right" when people are start equating them to each other.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

I'm not saying that Jeter and ARod aren't useful players, just that Jeter is signed through 2010, and I think the Yankees will keep him at SS as long as he can stand upright due to his "leadership qualities." A-Rod is signed through 2017. These guys are already among the worst in baseball defensively at their respective positions. At some point, it's not going to be pretty out there.

The worst part of it all is that most scouts will tell you that Alberto Gonzalez will blossom into a top-5 defensive SS in all of baseball. He'll never get that opportunity with the Yankees.

"In all likelihood, [Pettitte] will pitch 200 innings and win 15 games with a 4.10 ERA"

204.0 innings, 14 wins, 4.52 ERA.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

You were kind not to point out that Tony guaranteed that Mike Mussina would not pitch 200 innings this season.

I, however, am a dick.

I would have pointed it out myself.

I'd like to point out that while Daniel Cabrera just missed on hitting the mark again for me by walking 3 fewer batters than Matsuzaka, if you add in HBP, Cabrera's major league leading 18 gives him a 8 total batter BBplusHBP advantage over Dice-K.

Yes, I spelled out plus on purpose.

Wow, exact same WHIP two years in a row for Dice-K. 1.324.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

www.BaseballEvolution.com
Player Rankings | Hall of Fame | Trivia | Bonehead Sportswriters | Teams | Fun Stuff
Keith | Scott | Asher | Tony | Richard | Karl
About Us | Advertising | Submissions
BaseballEvolution.com is licensed under a Creative Commons License