Compendium | Team Previews | About Us | Contact
Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Joel Sherman watch

"1. Joe Girardi mentions competition enough that I am going to take him at his word, and not just about the open spaces in the bullpen where as many as 8-10 guys might be vying for three spots. But I think Johnny Damon, Jason Giambi and Hideki Matsui have to show in this camp and then right through the season that they are worthy of at-bats. Girardi is strongly indicating that track records alone will not assure anything. It will be interesting, therefore, if Shelly Duncan impresses Girardi and team officials this spring and eats into the at-bats of Damon, Girardi and/or Matsui."

a) Think he meant Giambi at the end instead of Girardi?

b) Does Hideki Matsui really have to prove himself more than Bobby Abreu? Because it looks to me that they are the same age and Matsui had the better season last year.

c) Shelley Duncan?!?!?! Really? The guy is 28 years old. Why does he think this is the year Duncan is worth a look?

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Re: Joel Sherman watch

I don't know Asher, could it be because Duncan hit 7 HR in only 74 ML AB after hitting 25 in 336 minor league AB last year (and 53 over the previous two seasons in AA-ball)? That's worth a closer look if you ask me.

Because he killed triple A last year and as Rich said he hit 7 HR in 74 AB's last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't that good, but he deserves a chance.

Look, Shane Spencer did hit a bunch of homeruns in his brief debut with the team last season, and he did hit a whole bunch over the last two seasons in the minors, but his average and on-base percentage have never been high, he has always struck out more plenty more than he walked, and he's not a particularly good fielder.

All I'm saying is that when a guy spends a long time in the minor leagues and establishes himself as a certain kind of hitter, like Shane Spencer has for the last six or seven years, and then suddenly busts out like Spencer did, usually the indication is less that he has turned the corner and more that if he had that level of talent in the first place he would have displayed it by now.

Wait, was I saying Shane Spencer the whole time? I meant to say Kevin Maas.

No, I'm sorry, not Kevin Maas. Darryl Ward.

Shoot. Why do I keep getting that wrong? I clearly meant Ron Kittle.

Ron Kittle?!?! What's wrong with me? Why can't I just say it - "Ken Phelps"

I mean, Sam Horn

I mean, Ron Coomer

I mean, John Jaha

Clearly, what I mean to say is Bob Hamelin

Sorry, no, I meant Paul LoDuca

No, it was Jeff Liefer

Nope, had to be Bubba Crosby

Or was it Andy Phillips

I'm sorry, I can't remember what player I was trying to think of. My point is, when a player establishes himself as a certain kind of hitter over a period of seasons, he rarely turns into a completely different type of hitter, and if he does, it doesn't last very long.

Wait, was it Adrian Beltre? Nope, that wasn't it.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Sherman's right, Asher. Duncan should eat into Girardi's at bats.

Man was I ever off by a mile on Shelley Duncan.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

I never patted myself on the back for saying Zach Duke would have a disappointing season in 2006....

You should have.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Not really. It was pretty easy.

Ah. Shelley Duncan.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains