Compendium | Team Previews | About Us | Contact
Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Kanemoto extends world record, collects 2,000th career hit

Just found this interesting and wanted to share.

Tomoaki Kanemoto finally got his 2,000th career hit after an 0-for-15 slump as the Hanshin Tigers rallied to beat the Yokohama BayStars 6-3 on Saturday.

Kanemoto lined an RBI single to right on a 2-2 fastball from Hayato Terahara (1-2) in the seventh inning, pushing Hanshin’s lead to 5-3 at Yokohama Stadium and becoming the 37th player in Japanese baseball to achieve the milestone.

’’Sorry that I kept fans waiting too long, but I’m glad I had my 2,000th hit with a runner in scoring position,’’ Kanemoto said.

’’I’ll try to continue to get as many hits as possible in a Tigers uniform,’’ added Kanemoto, who went 1-for-4 with a walk and two RBIs -- one on a run-scoring groundout in the first.

The 40-year-old outfielder has extended his unofficial world record of playing in consecutive games without missing an inning to 1,199 -- a record dating back to July 21, 1999. He is also three home runs shy of becoming the 15th player to reach 400 homers.

Re: Kanemoto extends world record, collects 2,000th career hit

Through 4/15, Ichiro now has 2,888 career hits as a professional, including 1,610 in MLB. He will clearly surpass Harimoto for the most professional hits by a Japanese player.

Thanks Gregory for noting one of Japanese baseball's greatest all-time players in your week in review.

Does "unofficial world record" call into question whether someone in another country has bested that feat or the veracity of the feat itself?

Oh, and Greg: 2,888 < 4,256

Keith, are you calling "scoreboard" and bragging about Pete Rose, or did you mis-read Rich's post. He said Ichiro will break the record for most professional hits by a Japanese player.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

I think Asher, that he was referring to this:

(As an aside, I have no doubt that Ichiro Suzuki would be Major League Baseball's all-time hits leader had he started play here as a younger man.)

Although I think was Greg was saying was that by the end of Ichiro's career he would be the all-time leader and there is something to that idea.

Ichiro through 2007 during which he was 33-years old.
2,870 professional hits, that's 1,386 hits shy of Rose's 4,256. If he plays 8 more seasons until he's 41, four years younger than Rose was when he retired, he would have to average 174 hits a year to reach Rose. He's averaged over 227 hits per year in the majors. He averaged over 180 hits a year in his 7 full seasons in Japan where the seasons are only 140 games long (he has averaged 159 games a year in the states).

I don't see why Rose's number is out of Ichiro's reach.

For what its worth, Rose had 427 hits in the minors before he came up to the majors, if we are counting professional hits.

But if Ichiro plays eight more seasons, not only do I not think Rose is out of his range, I think I would EXPECT him to catch Rose.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Right, as written, Greg has stated that Ichiro would be MLB's all time hits leader now had he begun his career in the States. I'm not sure whether the error was in the math or the writing, but I unfortunately did not have time to ask prior to posting it.

It will be interesting to see how Ichiro ages because he is such a unique player. So many of hits singles are infield hits that you might expect a decline once he loses a step. Of course, we've also seen a handful of major league players continue to run very well into their early 40s, so it may not be an issue.

I do think that Ichiro will be more susceptible to injury now that he is patrolling centerfield. Then again, you'd have thought that Rose would have been more susceptible to injury with the way he played the game.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

www.BaseballEvolution.com
Player Rankings | Hall of Fame | Trivia | Bonehead Sportswriters | Teams | Fun Stuff
Keith | Scott | Asher | Tony | Richard | Karl
About Us | Advertising | Submissions
BaseballEvolution.com is licensed under a Creative Commons License