Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Larry Bowa: Phillies vs. Cubs Fans

Bowa on Phillies Fans:

"They're very boisterous. I think they love their sports teams. They let you know when you're not doing well, but they also let you know when you're doing things right.

And I know that Jimmy said something earlier in the year, we talked about it. The one thing they're not is front-runners; they come out. They come out and support their team. Watching the playoffs against Milwaukee, it was quite a sight. And I told our guys if they thought Chicago was bad, they're in for a rude awakening, because it's not even close.
Maybe because we sort of took Chicago out of it early. But it was like -- it's like a West Coast crowd in Chicago really."

I am most interested in hearing Asher's take.

Re: Larry Bowa: Phillies vs. Cubs Fans

Come to think of it, I'd like Rich's take on the West Coast comment as well.

You know, clearly he's a bit biased in the first place and in the second place, he can't be far off the mark when you're talking about the Dodgers fans. But the west coast is a large place consisting of more than just the Dodgers. I would not put every west coast team in the same basket.

Since Bowa has ties to all three organizations, I would think his commentary on their fans would be pretty objective.

Maybe my brain is just screwed on wrong right now (likely) but I can't figure out which three organization's you mean.

But at any rate, the guy is a Phillie in his heart. You just know he'd give anything to manage them again.

a) Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angeles.

b) I think fan intensity is a product of stadium design. The most intense stadium-full-of-fans is, no surprise, Minnesota and Tampa (when full, which is rare). There is nothing like a sold-out domed stadium come playoff time.

After that, I would say the intimate stadiums are probably more raucous than the spreadout stadiums - Chicago, Fenway, Philly. Of course, the Yankees have a reputation for going nuts, but I suspect that is a product of the fact that they sell out every game, every game is televised, and they have had so many great moments in their history.

Did Dodger Stadium go any less nuts when Kirk Gibson hit that homerun than Yankee Stadium has (did) on any number of great moments?

Ironically, given how Phillies playoff games have done on television compared to Eagles regular season games (apparently the Eagles had higher ratings than the Phillies when they were playing on the same day), I would say Philadelphia is a football town first, but they root hard for their Phillies and Flyers as well.

Maybe I've been hanging out in the wrong neighborhoods, but I never hear anyone talking about the Sixers.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

I may have understated the importance of attendance in my previous post. Obviously, if the fans show up for the team, that is the biggest factor.

A Tuesday afternoon game in Kansas City is hugely different than a Tuesday afternoon game in the Bronx.

But come playoff time, when the stadium is full and the fans are going nuts, I don't really see a difference from one set of fans to another.

Although, when there is a heated rivalry - Boston vs. New York, etc. - that can change things as well.

Obviously my view on this topic is still evolving.

I just hesitate to say any team's fans are better than any other's because they are loud during playoff games.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

"Of course, the Yankees have a reputation for going nuts, but I suspect that is a product of the fact that they sell out every game"

The Yankees rarely sell out, which is obviously more a product of their stadium capacity being over 55,000 than their fans not being interested. It will be interesting to see what fans will be like in the new park. That one will sell out every game, but only business stiffs will be able to afford tickets.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

www.BaseballEvolution.com
Player Rankings | Hall of Fame | Trivia | Bonehead Sportswriters | Teams | Fun Stuff
Keith | Scott | Asher | Tony | Richard | Karl
About Us | Advertising | Submissions
BaseballEvolution.com is licensed under a Creative Commons License