Compendium | Team Previews | About Us | Contact
Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Dodgers-Phillies Game One

With a Derek Lowe-Cole Hamels Matchup, I can admit to being nervous that Lowe somewhat neutralizes the Phillies power advantage since he doesn't give up lots of fly balls.

At the same time, Lowe performed rather poorly away from home this season (2.30/4.42), and the Phillies love to hit at Citizen's Bank Park, so there is hope.

The Phils send Cole Hamels to the mound, which gives them the best chance to win. After getting knocked around for much of the last month of the season, Hamels was brilliant against the Brewers.

For Hamels, and all Phillies pitchers in this series, the key is obviously Manny Ramirez. In my opinion, you don't even pitch to him. It isn't worth the mental battle, and four balls in row is better than letting Manny work you deep into the count. For the last two months of the season, no one really tried to neutralize Manny and dare the other Dodgers hitters to beat them. Now might be the time.

On offense, one has to wonder if Ryan Howard and Chase Utley are waiting for invitations to start hitting in the playoffs. They went a combined 4-for-26, and Brett Myers had more memorable moments at the plate than the Phillies’ two biggest stars combined. Shane Victorino, Jayson Werth, and Jimmy Rollins were all delightful in the last series, but one would have to expect that for the Phillies to move on to the next round, and the next level, their biggest stars will have to show up in October.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Re: Dodgers-Phillies Game One

I like the Phillies in Game One. Lowe may neutralize the Phillies' power, but this is a team that stole 136 bases. If they need to, they can scrap together 3 or 4 runs, which is all they should need with Hamels on the hill and the best bullpen in the business.

On a side note, I am glad that I did not do either of theLCS previews, becvause I am legitimately clueless as to who will win. I will say that I think both series will go to at least six games and that I am rooting hard for the Rays, for whom I got 50:1 odds to make the World Series in early May.

I think the Phillies will win the series but I'm rooting for a Dodger-Red Sox serious. For some reason, I really want to see Manny murder Boston.

series*

Actually, Tony, I like the sentence the way you wrote it - Dodgers-Red Sox would be serious.

I am obviously rooting for Phillies-Rays, but Manny, Torre, and Lowe against the Sox would be unbelievable.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

So our analysis proves fantastic once again, as two homers off Derek Lowe power the Phils to victory. I should have written something about how sinkerballers get more effective as they tire, too.

Garciaparra too Asher.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools