Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
wow

just.......wow

Re: wow

My thoughts exactly.

Want to know the first five thoughts that went through my head when, humorously enough, I fell asleep on the couch in front of the tv at the end of the sixth and woke up at 2am to discover what had happened?

1) 2007 Indians

2) 2004 Yankees

3) 2003 Cubs

4) 2002 Giants

5) 1986 Angels

This has the flavor of one of those series.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

You got that right.

Wanna hear something crazy?

Outside of the Cubs, the Saints, and the Lakers - my three favorite teams from childhood - this is distantly the worst I've ever felt about a team losing a game in the playoffs.

This stuck with me all day. Still bothering me, in fact.

Oh, wait, I just remembered another one. Ironically, I was devastated for days after Shawn King and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers lost to the Rams in the 1999 NFC Championship.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Get over it.

Rays in 6.

City Chicago

Favorite Team Braves

I'm with Greg on this one. This game will be like Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, though: more remembered and talked about than the actual series result itself.

You know, I bet if you polled 100 baseball fans, at least 50 of them would say that the Red Sox won the 1975 World Series.

Keith you are dead wrong.

It would be more like 90.

I am ashamed to admit how old I was when I finally solidified that fact in my mind. I was in college.

And . . .

There is no way the Rays win this series now.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

90? I was thinking more like 10. I knew that they lost since...ever. If we're talking about super casual, watch-a-game-every-now-and-then fans, then I would think they wouldn't even know who played in the 1975 Series. I mean in 2003, the curse of the bambino was prevalent as ever, and in 2004 they obviously broke it. So how could fans not now they hadn't won since 1918?

And if Boston wins tonight, there is doubt they win game 7.

Right - that's exactly why it was never settled in my mind.

I was always like "They haven't won since 1918" but then I'd be like "Ah, Fisk's homerun in 1975 that won it for the Red Sox," then I'd be like "Which was it?"

And . . .

Just by odds, the likelihood of the Red Sox taking three games in Tampa seems incredibly unlikely, so it wouldn't seem like they could win Game Seven.

But . . .

All the pressure will be on Tampa.

And - you heard it here first - if the Red Sox do pull this series out, they beat the Phillies in five in the Series.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

A small part of me wishes that the Red Sox would win just so I could have a team to root against in the World Series but I'd hate to see them win again. I still think the Rays win the Series since they're a better team and they're at home, but anything can happen in baseball (Hallelujah, cliche!).

City Chicago

Favorite Team Braves

This is Kelly. Just happened to read this cause it was on the screen when I sat down at the computer and thought I'd throw my two cents in there. I am a very casual baseball fan, meaning I watch about 3 games a year and can generally tell you, in October, who is going to the World Series. But, I know all about the Red Sox and Cubs going like 80 years without winning the World Series, and how the Red Sox finally broke the streak recently (they even made a movie about it). So, I would never be able to guess who won the World Series in some random year before I was even born, but I could tell you who it wasn't- the Red Sox or the Cubs. Something about trading Babe Ruth and kicking a goat out of the stadium.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Yay Kelly!

Perhaps we should put it like this: Confused teens who are burgeoning baseball badasses are likely to turn talk of Fisk's 1975 game 6 into ideas that the Red Sox won. I know...I too was one of them.

But the uber-casual fan knows that most of the 20th century equals no Cubs or Red Sox titles.

According to Rob Neyer, TV Guide called that Game Six "the top televised sports moment of the 20th century."

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

www.BaseballEvolution.com
Player Rankings | Hall of Fame | Trivia | Bonehead Sportswriters | Teams | Fun Stuff
Keith | Scott | Asher | Tony | Richard | Karl
About Us | Advertising | Submissions
BaseballEvolution.com is licensed under a Creative Commons License