Compendium | Team Previews | About Us | Contact
Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Top Five Rays Going to the Series Thoughts

5) David Price - 2008 American League Championship Series "That's My Dawg" Award.

4) Single greatest post-game pile-on ever. How no one died, I have no idea. Seeing Carl Crawford jump onto the pile gave me goosebumps.

3) Is this rotation really going to be Kazmir-Shields-Price-Garza-Sonnanstine next year?

2) Hey Scott, you and I went to Tulane with Rays Executive Vice President Andrew Friedman.

1) Rays in five.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Re: Top Five Rays Going to the Series Thoughts

Neither of Price's called third strikes were actually strikes, but nice job nonetheless.

So they eeked it out with a little help from the ump. Congrats Rays.

He was the same ump that came in when the original ump got injured in Game Six wasn't he?

I didn't like he strike zone either night, to tell you the truth.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

The name sounds familiar, Asher. Did you know him?

Phillies in Six. Rays win games 2 and 3.

Scott, I think the name sounds familiar because between the two of us we know two Andrew Freemans.

He was a baseball player. I am virtually certain he was Sharp One Tall at some point. I think he hated me (which means he lived in Sharp).

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Andrew Friedman didn't play much, as he was a midget who was always hurt, unless of course, it was the off-season and it was time to haze and/or jump random non-athletes.
Of course, it may be that all that benchwarming helped him become a decent GM.
Just another Tulane douche; I'm surprised you guys weren't best pals...haha, just kidding.

On another note, has anyone else noticed how clueless commentators seem to be regarding college pitchers? Everyone I've heard talk about David Price is flabbergasted that a guy drafted out of college last season could be effective this season. Don't they know that pitching in college is a more difficult proposition than pitching in the minors?

Yeah - good point about the college pitchers.

It seems to me that, at least subjectively, the numbers of ready-for-the-majors-out-of-the-draft pitchers out of college is not low to the point that Price's success would be surprising.

The first person who comes to mind is Jim Abbott, who even with one hand went straight to the majors without minor league time after pitching at Michigan.

Tim Lincecum comes to mind after the 2006 draft.

Mark Prior had rather instant success, as did Mike Mussina.

Justin Verlander was ready at about the same point that Price is at now, but has obviously since regressed. Same for Jered Weaver and Barry Zito.

I think treating the early success of a number one overall pick out of college as something unheard-of is silly.

Wanna hear something crazy?

The year Mike Hampton signed with the Rockies, the Mets got two compensatory picks for it - which they used to draft Aaron Heilman and David Wright.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Asher - Verlander never pitched in college.

Karl - You are so singular-minded that it depresses me.

Yes he did.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Interestingly, Verlander went 7-6 in all three years of his college career at Old Dominion University, walking exactly 43 batters every season.

Dang, I confused him with Bonderman. These flameout Tigers pitchers are difficult to keep track of.

I don't think it's fair to call Verlander a flameout yet. He's one year removed from a top five finish in Cy Young voting. He might be done but from what I saw he looked generally good, in terms of "stuff." He just has little control and is giving in a lot, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him rebound next year.

City Chicago

Favorite Team Braves

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

www.BaseballEvolution.com
Player Rankings | Hall of Fame | Trivia | Bonehead Sportswriters | Teams | Fun Stuff
Keith | Scott | Asher | Tony | Richard | Karl
About Us | Advertising | Submissions
BaseballEvolution.com is licensed under a Creative Commons License