Compendium | Team Previews | About Us | Contact
Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Derek Jeter's dive into the stands

The New Yorker had a neat two-page comic illustrated recap of the greatest moments in Yankee Stadium history.

Somehow, Derek Jeter's dive into the stands made the list, while Roger Maris' 61st homerun did not.

Then, I was reading a New York Daily News article about the catch. It said the following:

In the top of the 12th inning, the Red Sox had two outs, and runners on second to third. Trot Nixon hit the ball towards shallow left. If the ball had dropped in, the Red Sox would have gone ahead.

As Jeter raced for the ball, he realized that he would have to dive for it. But the ball was coming down just in front of the stands.

There was no way that Jeter could get the ball without diving face-first into the stands. But the game was on the line, and Derek Jeter did not hesitate to make the play that, along with the 2001 Flip Play, has defined his career.

Jeter fearlessly made the catch, fell into the stands, and ended up bruised and bloody. People sitting near him helped him up. Then a dazed Jeter, holding a cloth next to his mouth to stop it from bleeding, was helped off the field.

In an attempt to make more of a hero out of the play than necessary, the Daily News narration made a pretty clear error. Anyone spot it?

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Re: Derek Jeter's dive into the stands

Yeah, if Jeter hadn't made the catch, the Yankees wouldn't necessarily have lost. It just would've been a flippin' foul ball.

My grandfather and I have been discussing whether it would have been fair or foul for over four years now. Ironically it came up on Sunday once again. We both believe it would have been foul as well.

Right.

The thing is, it is a Jeter-legend double-edged sword:

If it would have been foul, then the play is relatively inconsequential.

If it would have been fair, then he is a dolt for not being able to stop himself in the eight remaining steps between the fair territory where he made the catch and the stands.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

To say nothing of the fact that this "pivotal" play came on July 1st, with the Yankees 7.5 games in front in their division.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

So I think I hate Red Sox fans more, but Yankees media more.

In fact, I'm not sure that Yankee fans are any worse than Phillies fans. Their 360-degree turn on Pat Burrell has a 99% similarity score to the Yankee fans' treatment of Alex Rodriguez.

Then Chase Utley has a couple of weeks in which he struggles with men on base, and he becomes the villian. Then they chant "MVP" whenever Ryan Howard steps to the plate because of his inflated RBI total.

What a bunch of losers.

Phillies in Five.

Check this out

The Phillies fans also excoriated Jimmy Rollins this year for struggling offensively after being INJURED for a stretch in the first half. Terrible.

(Are we all playing the "predict the opposite of what you think will happen" game now?)

Phillies in six.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

My postseason prediction record isn't anything to brag about, but it isn't nearly as deplorable as yours. Going opposite would be meaningless.

Also, I am not Marty Brennaman; I do not think the Phillies will lose because their fans are buttholes.

Come to think of it, have I EVER gotten one right?

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

You correctly pegged the Tigers as winners of the 2006 ALCS over the A's. That is all I could find. Even then, you were as wrong as you could possibly be while still being right, predicting that the series would go seven games when the Tigers would actually sweep.

And while the Rays should win tonight, you will once again be wrong on this series.

Hey, it gets better:

"I know one thing – I am nearly certain that this series will not be decided in Detroit – this series is going to go at least six games."

Keith, I am kind of surprised that you favor the Phillies, simply based on the pitching matchups.

I mean, Hamels vs. Kazmir was kind of a toss-up, two numbers ones going up against each other.

And Shields and Myers favored Shields.

But how can you look at Garza-Moyer and Sonnanstine-Blanton and see anything but at least a split, if not two wins, for the Rays? Garza has been lights out, and Sonnanstine’s left-handed home/road neutral make-up seems perfectly pitched for a road game against the Phillies.

In Philly, its Garza-Moyer, Sonnanstine-Blanton, and then presumably Hamels-Kazmir again.

I think the Phillies take the Hamels-Kazmir rematch, the Rays take the Garza-Moyer matchup.

Then, whoever take the Sonnanstine-Blanton game takes the Series. And I think it will be the Rays.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

The Rays went 40-41 on the road this year and 25-24 against left-handed pitching. Those records came against worse starters than Moyer and far worse offensees than Philadelphia's.

Moyer is 8-4 2.75 against the Devil Rays and Joe Blanton is 2-3 6.05 against the Rays/Devil Rays. To me, Sonnanstine/Garza is the Rays' best chance of winning in Philly. Then the Shields/Myers matchup would again favor the Rays, which is why I was surprised that Scott took Philly in six. So I think that if the Phillies don't win it in five , they do so in seven.

Perhaps the problem, though, is that you ARE simply looking at the pitching matchups. The Phillies have a slightly better bullpen and a wildly better offense. If the Rays do have a slight edge in a starting pitching matchup, that does not necessarily make them favorites to win that game.

Well, I think that citing Moyer's career stats against the Devil Rays is pretty hilarious, I have to tell you.

I think his home stats in 2008 (not good) and stats in the playoffs so far (terrible) are probably better indicators of what to expect.

I stick to my guns on Blanton-Sonnanstine. It should decide the Series.

As for any offensive advantages possessed by the Phillies, I welcome the Phillies to begin demonstrating their offensive superiority at sometime during these playoffs. Until they do so, I can't be too nervous about Howard-Utley-Burrell.

And as for the bullpens, yes, you're right. But you have to get to the bullpens first.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting