Compendium | Team Previews | About Us | Contact
Google Site Search: Web BaseballEvolution.com

BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum

Forum: BaseballEvolution.com - Fan Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Yankees set to make an offer to Burnett

Ugh. The post says it's 5 years for 80, Newsday says it 4 years for much less money. Either way, I'm not for this move. I think the Yankees are terribly biased, though. Against them, he pitched 38 innings to a 1.64 ERA. Against the rest of the league he pitched 193 innings with an ERA of 4.29. This is also the first time since 2005 he made thirty starts, and the second time overall. You would think that the GM of a goddamn major league team would notice this, unless Hal has taken a page from his pop's book, and gone batshit crazy.

Re: Yankees set to make an offer to Burnett

Well, based on Hal's behavior and comments to this point, he is already batshit crazy (or was it Hank that complained about the playoffs not being fair).

I can't believe the Yankees are going to double-down on the "acquire all the big name players for tons of cash" philosophy and still not invest in their up-the-middle defense.

If I were the Yankees right now, I would be trading mid-range prospects plus tons of cash to the Twins, Braves, and Athletics for Carlos Gomez, Yunel Escobar, and Mark Ellis.

Then I would be talking to Derek Jeter about what a great first baseman or left fielder I think he'd make.

Then you could probably plug lots of pitchers into the equation and make out like a champ.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

Jeter wasn't bad at all last season. Whether it was a one year fluke, or if he figured something out will be determined. Cano was pretty good in 2007, and average to below-average in 2008. So I don't know what to expect from him in 2009 either. I definitely agree with you on Jeter, though. Whether he did fix something or not, that doesn't change the fact that he turns 35 this summer. Cano is still young, however. If they traded for a second baseman, what do you suggest they do with Cano?
You're right. It was Hank, not Hal. My bad.

Cano's +/- rating was -16 this year, worst among all second baseman. I suggest they trade him to a popsicle vendor and hope that he'll give up a grape one.

Jeter was -12, only tied for fourth-worst among shortstops. While that does represent a big step up for him, his overall value probably declined this year. He may not be able to hit well enough anymore to play first base or left field. They should try him either at center or third.

Of course, the Alberto Gonzalez trade probably means that they have no intention of moving Jeter.

Maybe move Jeter to third base and tell A-Rod what a good first baseman he'd be.

After the Chipper Jones saga, I don't think I'll ever suggest moving a third baseman to leftfield again.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

I rather them move Jeter to third, and tell A-Rod what a good SS he was.

Well said, Tony.

Getting back on the original topic, I think Burnett is a fantastic pitcher. Five years is too many for such a health risk, but Burnett's ability to strike batters out makes the crap Yankees defense less of a problem.

Yea, if he is healthy this will be a great move, but history has proven otherwise. He has an amazing fastball, but I think this is too much of a risk. Especially since they are offering 4-5 years. I hope I'm wrong

Were I a Yankees fan, I'd rather get AJ for 5yr-80M than CC for 6yr-140M. Easily.

I disagree. It's the years that pain me more than the money.

The thing is, wasting money is never ever ever going to hurt the Yankees.

With all the salaries they won't be paying this year, they could do both of those deals and be fine, even if both guys went Pavano.

City Philadelphia

Favorite Team Cubs

We need to set up a Baseball Evolution phrase page alongside our nicknames page and entitle it "Go Pavano."

Oh, and the thing that's so intriguing about Burnett is that his curveball is even better than his fastball. Of course, that curveball is probably also the culprit for the injuries.

Exactly. Strange as it may sound, I think a Burnett signing has a higher upside than a CC signing, especially at two-thirds the cost.

If I had to bet on who pitched more innings in the next 5 years, I would still take CC of course.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

www.BaseballEvolution.com
Player Rankings | Hall of Fame | Trivia | Bonehead Sportswriters | Teams | Fun Stuff
Keith | Scott | Asher | Tony | Richard | Karl
About Us | Advertising | Submissions
BaseballEvolution.com is licensed under a Creative Commons License