Return to Website

Above & Beyond Hockey

your thoughts on the books, the site, and on the state of the game (and, occasionally, our replies)

Above & Beyond Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: Re: Indispensible books?

If it brings a smile to your face, I'm a happy man. Thanks for saying that, Alex. Hey, "Pavel Bure" was written by Kerry Banks, by the way.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Well, the Compendium is one of those books which always puts a smile on my face, so that's why it's indispensible for me. Also, it has borne up well to repeated reading.

I read way too many Stan Fischler books when I was a young pup, so I'm glad not to see those on your list. I have Net Worth, and have read Gross Misconduct, but I'll have to hunt down Tropic of Hockey (maybe I'll use my $25 gift cert for Coles/Chapters on it?) at some point.

Replying to:

"Tropic of Hockey", by Dave Bidini, definitely. For muckraking and the kind of useful history you don't get in conventional hockey books, "Net Worth", by Alison what's her name and her writing partner, a guy (sorry to be so sketchy), and "Gross Misconduct", by Russ Conway. Those are two books that really made a difference. A good recent bio: "Pavel Bure", by a guy who writes for an alternative paper out in Vancouver (sorry to be sketchy again). Fiction, hands down: "King Leary", by Paul Quarrington. And I don't know that I would include the Compendium on your list, Alex, but chacun a son gout.

P.S.: Best poem: "I'll Take Hockey, Every Time" by John Kieran, c. 1929. Karl, do you have the full text handy to reprint here?

Replying to:

Which hockey books are absolutely indispensible? I'm thinking of Total Hockey, K&R Compendium, the yearly Guide & Record Book, The Game by Dryden... but what books would you add to this list?