Return to Website

Above & Beyond Hockey

your thoughts on the books, the site, and on the state of the game (and, occasionally, our replies)

Above & Beyond Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Equipment's Negative Evolution

Hi Jordan. I couldn't agree with your thesis more, even though I have no actual data to offer you. But over the years, I have read several articles citing actual studies that support your argument.

In any case, though, what's happening is obvious: Guys are better protected, which makes them feel more invulnerable, so they go flying at each other and injure each other. The gear intended to protect someone from a blow becomes instead a battering ream. So Scott Stevens's shoulder pads, originally intended to protect his shoulders and collarbone from getting broken when they get hit, instead protect them when he HITS people. No need for restraint, then, and his shoulder pads dish out concussion after concussion.

This is why rugby, which as you know is as relentlessly rugged as American or Canadian football, refuses to allow the use of protective padding. The sport knows that there would be more head-on hits, more flying tackles at the knees, and in general, more serious injury. It would end up like football, with at least two serious injuries a game and a whole lot more concussions.

Concussion, of course, is the serious problem the NHL and hockey in general faces. Players are bigger and stronger than ever, yes, but part of the reason they're bigger and stronger is because they wear so much more equipment now than they did, say, 35 years ago. So while laceration injuries, I bet you'd find, are way down, concussions and torn ligaments and muscles -- the kinds of injuries you get from high-speed impacts -- are way up. But I couldn't say for sure. I guess you'll find out. And please post your findings here when you finish, too, cuz I'd love to know. Meanwhile, stick around anyway and tell me why I shouldn't get my hopes up for the Sabres this year.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My name is Jordan Thoms. I am a high school student in Mississauga Ontario. Currently I am in the process of doing my research for my Kinesiology Class project.

My project is being done on the negative impact of hockey equipment. Over the past 15 years advandces in hockey equipment has skyrocketed. However, I am trying to prove that many of the advandces have actually led to more injuries.

I am planning on focusing the majority of my research on elbow pads, shoulder pads, gloves and helmets.

If you could get back to me with your thoughts and opinions on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated

Reply to Lummix66@hotmail.com