Return to Website

Above & Beyond Hockey

your thoughts on the books, the site, and on the state of the game (and, occasionally, our replies)

Above & Beyond Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fighting in the nhl

i disagree with you on fighting being part of what is different about hockey today than in the past. fighting ignites fans now just as it did in the 60's, when there is a fight the woman are standing up and cheering just as much as the men. there was less stick incidents in the 60's as compared today, if anyone had raised a stick to howe he would have made a fudgeicle out of them with there stick. my first reason for coming to this site was to encourage detroit fans not to buy little caesars pizzas, go to hockey town cafe, boycott the pistons and compuware

Re: fighting in the nhl

Hello, Tom, thanks for writing in. We're not sure what it is you're disagreeing with. Fighting sure does "ignite" some fans now "just as it did in the '60s," or the '30s or the 19th century for that matter. That would often include us. It also puts plenty of people off, just as it did then, and remains the main reason hockey is marginalized as a third-tier cult sport in the US. So, all due respect, what point are you trying to make? We're always baffled by the people who write in to condemn 1998's "The Death of Hockey" or this site as some Pollyanna anti-fighting screed. Did they actually read the book or anything actually said here? In any case, we promise we won't but any Little Caesar's. Perhaps you'd like to explain why.
-- web team, Above and Beyond Hockey

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

i disagree with you on fighting being part of what is different about hockey today than in the past. fighting ignites fans now just as it did in the 60's, when there is a fight the woman are standing up and cheering just as much as the men. there was less stick incidents in the 60's as compared today, if anyone had raised a stick to howe he would have made a fudgeicle out of them with there stick. my first reason for coming to this site was to encourage detroit fans not to buy little caesars pizzas, go to hockey town cafe, boycott the pistons and compuware