Return to Website

Above & Beyond Hockey

your thoughts on the books, the site, and on the state of the game (and, occasionally, our replies)

Above & Beyond Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Auditory organs

Reggie Dunlop might disagree, but I'd rather hear "Lady of Spain" than most of the ESPN guys. Really, though, OneGoal2002 points out what I think is actually a chronic problem on almost all US hockey broadcasts, network or local -- the damping of arena noise, not just during the intermissions but throughout the game. Granted, there often aren't enough actual people in attendance at a lot of NHL games to make much noise, nor much happening on the ice to warrant their making noise in the first place. But when the noise is there -- and I mean actual crowd noise, not that fershlugginer electronic crap played over the PA, the real effect of which is to discourage the crowd from making noise -- the microphones meant to pick up that ambient roar for the TV audience are all but shut down, further gutting the sense of excitement and enthusiasm for the home viewer. You could chalk it up to simple ineptitude on the part of the TV directors, or their dislike for or lack of understanding of hockey, but the fact that the NHL has never done a thing about this is, to me, a signal of the league executive's own dislike for and poor understanding of the game and their contempt for the actual fans.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Right on! I'd rather hear the organ than the announcers anyway.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was watching the Blues game on ESPN2 tonight and I noticed that after the foghorn you could only faintly hear the Blues go Marching in it always sounds loud. I think ESPN blocked it out so the anouncers could be hear easier. It really ticks me as a Blues fan.