Return to Website

Above & Beyond Hockey

your thoughts on the books, the site, and on the state of the game (and, occasionally, our replies)

Above & Beyond Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: RTSS cutbacks

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Well, at least I won't have to worry any more about not having done enough analysis on some of these stats, since they won't exist any more.

In my humble opinion, what an absolutely idiotic thing to do. Just when you think hockey stats may be getting good, this happens.

I guess I'll have more time to spend on lacrosse.

Iain.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I got the following email from a friend who works for a minor league team... he claims it is being done because of players wanting to stand on higher salary demands because they lead the league in one of the categories...

[begin]

As the 2002-2003 season rapidly approaches, I wanted to inform you of some policy changes to the NHL statistics that will be in affect for the upcoming season. The National Hockey League has suspended the scoring & reporting of (5) statistical categories. Please plan accordingly.

These statistics will no longer be summarized in any file or report (for player or team). Furthermore, for users of the NHL Real-time scoring feed (EV0sXXXX.txt), please note you will no longer see any of the below events records. Provided with the statistics are the event codes within the real time feed for your reference.

Eliminated Statistical categories:

Hits (code # 503)

Turnovers (code # 504)

giveaways (Reason #1402)

takeaways (Reason # 1401)

Block Shots (code #50

blocked shot type (Reason #11??)

Missed Shots (code #507)

missed shot (Reason #10??)

[end]

Well, this just sucks... It effectively kills Iain's DAP metric, which has already been shown to have real value. If the reason claimed above is true, then it's justr short-sidedness of the owners/league. If it's a because they don't see any real value in the stats, then it's a combination of 1) them being idiots and 2) those of us involved in these stats not doing more to make these methods better known.

Marc