Return to Website

Above & Beyond Hockey

your thoughts on the books, the site, and on the state of the game (and, occasionally, our replies)

Above & Beyond Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My opinions

While I certainly agree that the NHL has many problems at this current point in time, I deeply disagree with your opinions about "sunbelt" teams. Being 18 years old, and living in Dallas, Texas all my life, until the Stars were "Uprooted" and moved here, I had never seen a hockey game in my life. Without the Stars being here, I never would have been exposed to this wonderful game, and I am offended that you and others seem to want the priveledge to be exposed to hockey taken away from future generations in Texas.

Often I am informed by people on the internet, and by reading newspapers, that Dallas fans are basically not real hockey fans, but just ignorant hicks. While I certainly agree that some fans are, we have a strong and loyal fanbase down here, and I think the community is as good as any in the NHL. You can't tell me that Hull would want to move back to Dallas when he retires if it was a "hockey unfriendly" place.

I would hope that you, and others consider this, and look also at your own responsibility. Such questions as why Dallas makes a huge amount of proffit, and teams in Canada and the Northern USA are failing. Perhaps it's because fans here have only one outlet for hockey, and we love it, and are willing to support it. Please, don't try to take that away from us.

Stew A.

Dallas, Texas.