Return to Website

Above & Beyond Hockey

your thoughts on the books, the site, and on the state of the game (and, occasionally, our replies)

Above & Beyond Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Message to the authors

Hmm, this maybe not what this site is for...but I can't resist pointing out to both the authors of "The Death of Hockey" on Canada's recent ascent to all international hockey titles:

Reigning Olympic Men Champs
Reigning Olympic Women Champs
Reigning Men's World Champs
Reigning Women's World Champs
Reigning World Cup Champs
Reigning World Junior Champs

That makes it a sweep of the major international championships (unless you want to include the spengler cup). Anyways not sure if Mr. Klein or Reif will see this, but just wondering if their rant as Canada being the "England of Hockey" still holds true?
Or a more apt question, how do you like those apples?

Re: Message to the authors

Hello Joe, thanks for writing in. We like those apples, or even them apples, just fine. You're absolutely right. It was *seven years ago* that "The Death of Hockey" accurately observed (seemed to us like more of a calmly reasoned analysis than a "rant," but whatever... ) that Canada was then at a low point on the international hockey scene. But in the intervening years, Canada has re-ascended to the highest throne among the nations. At least on the ice. Off the ice, you look at the NHL and see what a mess it is, and the overseas pro leagues are now arguably as good North America's. And economically, they're starting to do the unthinkable as well: begin to approach the NHL in terms of economic clout. But certainly on the ice the position of Canada now is almost 180 degrees reversed, in an improved direction, over what it was in the late '90s. We're happy for ya. Why give us attitude? Klein and Reif, "two American boys who wouldn't mind at all if a reformed Canada started winning again. Go Canada go." (Death of Hockey, p197). We second the emotion.
-- web team, Above and Beyond Hockey

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hmm, this maybe not what this site is for...but I can't resist pointing out to both the authors of "The Death of Hockey" on Canada's recent ascent to all international hockey titles:

Reigning Olympic Men Champs
Reigning Olympic Women Champs
Reigning Men's World Champs
Reigning Women's World Champs
Reigning World Cup Champs
Reigning World Junior Champs

That makes it a sweep of the major international championships (unless you want to include the spengler cup). Anyways not sure if Mr. Klein or Reif will see this, but just wondering if their rant as Canada being the "England of Hockey" still holds true?
Or a more apt question, how do you like those apples?

Re: Re: Message to the authors

Oh, I was just giving attitude for the fun of it...I thought the book had good insight, just as a Canadian hockey fan thought I would throw a sporting jab back. Thank you for your reply, don't take it as any disrespect, all in good humor. Cheers.

Ps. As a side, I think the hockey played at the WJHC, and from what we see in the European elite leagues is better to watch than the NHL has been in the last few years. I'm not sure if that is just 'hockey withdrawl'...but it is interesting. Not neccessarily the best players, but more entertaining.

Re: Re: Re: Message to the authors

Hey Joe, 'tis all cool then, and no problem. In fact, pardon us if our reply was thin-skinned. It's rare we get anything *but* disrespect here in the Forum, so we just assumed 'twas more of the usual! On behalf of K & R, thanks for the good words.

We agree with your PS as well. It's not hockey withdrawal; we'd say your perception is accurate. Crucial diff between Euro leagues and the NHL: less obstruction overseas. Refs actually call penalties.
By the way, didja see some of the feedback from the impromptu think-tank Brendan Shanahan organized last month? Terry Gregson commented that he never knew before that players *wanted* obstruction to be whistled down. Oy.

Best wishes --
web team, Above and Beyond Hockey

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Oh, I was just giving attitude for the fun of it...I thought the book had good insight, just as a Canadian hockey fan thought I would throw a sporting jab back. Thank you for your reply, don't take it as any disrespect, all in good humor. Cheers.

Ps. As a side, I think the hockey played at the WJHC, and from what we see in the European elite leagues is better to watch than the NHL has been in the last few years. I'm not sure if that is just 'hockey withdrawl'...but it is interesting. Not neccessarily the best players, but more entertaining.

Re: Re: Message to the authors

Hey guys,

In fact, in "The Death of Hockey", you argued that Canada was *never* the greatest hockey power in the world. Please see my article here that refutes that argument (the quotes are provided therein to demonstrate you did say it):

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/puckerings/puck009.htm

I've always wondered if you were exaggerating your point, because it seems silly on the face of it.