General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Resource Comments: Baby Bottles and Sippies

We posted two glass bottle and silicone nipple products to give a few options. I used glass bottles with my daughter and they never once broke. The 4 oz bottles are so thick and compact that they just bounce on the floor. This is my top pick for baby bottles.
For sippy mugs, my top pick is the Kleen Kanteen.
I did not post Sigg containers as an option because even with the letter written from the president of the company saying they have tested them and they don't leach, they still use a plastic lining that contains Bisphospheno-A. We don't know how long they tested their containers or under what conditions. All the reports I have found so far indicate that they leach with lots of use and over time. I just don't trust it personally to recommend it right now.

Re: Resource Comments: Baby Bottles and Sippies

I'm in the market for a PBA-free sippy cup (and water bottle for me) and have just been going all around trying to find the one that is best. It's one thing to just grab a cup off the rack at the supermarket because you need one and it's there and cheap, but when you are trying to find something that is absolutely safe and functional, it's so much harder to commit!

Looks like Klean Kanteen is probably the best bet. The Sigg bottles are so cute, but I also have some reservations about the liner and the spout is not really good for babies. I tried a Born Free sippy and found it to leak.

Here's another blog I found that has some good info:
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/11/z-report-bisphenol-in-baby-bottles-and.html

This oughta stir up some comments:

BPA baby bottles are safe, says FDA official:

http://www.babycenter.com/204_bpa-baby-bottles-are-safe-says-fda-official_5233465.bc?scid=momstodd_20080617:2&pe=eiEXLN

I have worked in mainstream dietitics in hospitals for my previous career and I have seen drugs and supplements approved by the FDA that have been recalled and taken off their approval list after being marketed for several years. The FDA is a de-regulated, underfunded institution. I personally, do not trust them to tell us what is safe anymore.

Interesting that this doctor says the BPA levels are safe in baby bottles. I thought the FDA has not set a safe level of exposure for babies. This just seems to be his personal opinion.