General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Resources: Recommended Dairy and Egg Brands

When we have time to make a page for this, we will, but for now, I wanted to let everyone know my top picks for the best, sustainable and local dairy prodcuts foods.

STRAUS milk, creams, butter, and ice cream! (Made in Marin, made organically and sustainably and it's local for us!. They run their dairy on cow poop. They have a methane digester to convert it to energy.) Straus is my top pick.

ORGANIC VALLEY milk, creams, eggs, cottage cheese, cheese. (This is a nationwide dairy co-op of family farms. They say they have stricter guidelines than the organic standards. They make sure their cows are not locked in feed lots and get out to pasture for most of the day. They also require the same for the chickens as far as I know.) This is my second top pick, but I always get their cheese because Straus not longer makes cheese.

BENS EGGS
I love these eggs because they are local to us (La Honda), and they have lots of omega 3 fatty acids for brain development. They are tastier and a darker orange yolk than most egg brands.

PIE RANCH
I have not had the honor of testing a Pie Ranch egg, but I am sure they are good because their pies are excellent! This is a local CSA source of eggs and produce in Pescadero. See Food in the Resources section.

Re: Resources: Recommended Dairy and Egg Brands

They sound great. Can you get all of them at Whole Foods? Anywhere closer?

Re: Resources: Recommended Dairy and Egg Brands

Here's a breakdown of where to find the products:
STRAUS
Cunha: yogurt and ice cream
Pacifica Farmer's Market Store: milk
New Leaf: said they would carry the milk (not sure about the other products, but if we ask for them, I bet they would get them)
Whole Foods: milk, yogurt, butter, ice cream, creams

ORGANIC VALLEY:
Cunha: milk, cheese, and cream cheese
Pacifica Farmer's Market: cheese, not sure about other
New Leaf: likely, but not sure
Whole Foods: milk, cream cheese, cheese, eggs
Oasis: milk, cheese

BENS EGGS: Oasis, not sure where else

PIE RANCH: you have to join the CSA

*let me know if I left something out