General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BLOG COMMENTS RE: Earth Day is Launch Day!

MELINDA'S MESSAGE

Welcome! We are now 'live' to the public, and I am excited to get this information out there.  I have dreamed of having a website for GreenMoms for a couple years, and I finally met the right person to help me make it happen.  I met my co-founding partner, Janice, when we had a GreenMoms information table at a small festival for the Pachamama Alliance.  When she became a member a few years ago, I had no idea that she had any web production experience.  I only found out when posting a message to our group about needing a logo designer for t-shirts several months ago.  From there, we talked about possible website design and finally a solid plan for our website.  Now, here we are!  I am so excited to have this website public so that everyone can find local and internet resources, and I am excited that our local GreenMoms group has an easy place to find the information that they discuss and recommend.

We have spent lots of time gathering green information and locating our local resources in order to have everything available in one place for the Coastside.  I was surprised that I kept finding more and more local green resources along the way. I am so happy to share this with the Coastside!  It looks like the content and resources will just keep on coming and there will be constant updates.  We are back logged with new content to be added later including, a new book section, a new alternative transportation section, and more.  If you don't see something on the website, that you think needs to be here, please submit it to us for review. 

During our testing process before the launch, we experienced some technical difficulties that slowed the site down, but my partner, Janice, was tenacious about listening to all the feedback and tackling the problems so that our site is back to running as smooth as possible!  Janice, you are a star!  Thank you to all of our beta testers and everyone that has provided us with constructive feedback, comments, and moral support along the way.  You have really made a big difference and we appreciate you!  Thank you to everyone coming to view our site.  We hope you find it to be a valuable resource and that you will keep coming back.  Happy Earth Day!

--Melinda

JANICE'S MESSAGE

We Did it!  Ahead of schedule & on budget — hahahahahahahaha!  A little project manager's joke since we had no specific schedule until a few of weeks ago ("Earth Day is coming, Earth Day is coming!  Go, go, go...") and our budget has been taken out of our "sleeping accounts."  It's been an amazing experience learning so much about what people want in a site to help them with their green goals, what people DON'T want to hear about in terms of "going green", having people feel challenged by the project concept, rekindling (pseudo-) programming skills, getting fabulous support from our families and friends...and watching Melinda as a content MACHINE!  She is so (sanely) passionate about this topic and cares so much that we do the best for our members and visitors that I know you'll find something to help you somewhere on the site (and if you don't, tell us what you need and I bet Melinda or one of our other participants will do their best to find the information for you).  As for me, it's been almost 20 years since I've done anything programming-esque!  "I can't believe I built the whole thing" - I have a tummy ache.  I bet Melinda will have great, green, locally developed, fair-trade, vegetarian, organic antacid resource to give me. 

Many thanks to our families, friends, advisors and critics for helping us turn some doodles on a page, scattered thoughts and wishful thinking into reality.  Go green, greener, greenest!

--Janice