General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sigg or no Sigg water bottle?

This seems to be a very unclear choice. I hear they do have a "bad" plastic liner and hear they don't. The company (of course) says they are safe but trusted sources are not convinced. Is there any conclusive evidence one way or another and, if so, you can point me to it? Thanks. (I love their designs so I want to use them :->)

Re: Sigg or no Sigg water bottle?

I spent about a week agonizing over which water bottle would be best for our family and finally decided against the Sigg and for Klean Kanteen. My reasons were:

1 - Sigg does have an inner liner that is made out of a proprietary resin formula. They claim it has been thoroughly tested and is 100% free of leaching, but still makes me a little nervous since I don't know what it's made out of.
2 - I did not like any of the bottle tops, either for me or my kids. The children's tops needs to be twisted open and closed and is too difficult to operate for a baby or toddler. Sure, you can open it for them, but there would still be leaks in the carseat or at night (my son likes to have a sippy of water with him when he sleeps). For me, the sports tops had mixed reviews and the screw caps were problematic. The Siggs have more and tighter threads, so you have to screw them and screw them on and off, which is too much trouble every time I want a sip of water. The Klean Kanteen screw cap comes on and off much more easily.
3 - The Sigg top is narrower and seemed harder to clean, and the sippy cap is also very hard to take apart and clean.

I really love all the beautiful designs for Sigg bottles, but after much thought I decided the Klean Kanteen was safer and more practical and I am happy with my decision so far.

You can seel lots of other user reviews of both at reusablebags.com.

I can tell everyone two things about the "good" water bottles I've used (and I'm not in love with any of them)...

1. I let a friend of mine put wine (white wine) in one of my Sigg bottles. Even after washing it several times it still has a scent in it. A pleasant scent, but still...huh?

2. I like the idea of the Klean Kanteens, but I've personally found them to be a royal pain for the child's sippy cup top: a bazillion parts and you have to take them all apart to clean completely (can you say stinky milk?) . Plus, I was hoping the sippy lip part folded down. It's weird that it doesn't have a cap for it - I haven't had any leaks out of the sippy lip part, but I've been very careful just in case.

My 2 cents...

I personally love our stainless steel Klean Kanteens. It is too bad that the sippy top is not ideal...it could be better, but it has worked for us. It would be good if it had a cap to prevent leaking. We now just use the adult sports lid that you can suck out of. My daugher has no problem with that, but she is at an age where she can open and close it. Stainless steel metal bottles don't keep scents or flavors.

I am guessing your Sigg has a wine scent because of that plastic liner in it. It must have absorbed it a little.