General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BLOG COMMENTS RE: The Darker Side of Chocolate

I was going to write a blog about eco-friendly chocolate and flower options for mother's day, but after reading more about chocolate, I realized it is a whole topic in itself.  Some of us in the lighter green zone may not be fully aware of the darker side of chocolate.  Until I read more about it, I had forgotten some of the reasons that I now refuse to buy mainstream brand chocolate.  I also learned more surprising information about the problems with all chocolate, and the solutions that are working to maintain the rainforest.

Chocolate is produced in tropical climates mostly in Africa or South America.  Traditionally it is grown in the shade of the rainforest providing a wonderful habitat for species of bats, birds, lizards, and insects.  However, chocolate production has become a 6 billion dollar industry, and this increased demand has caused farmers to cut down the rainforest to plant higher yielding sun tolerant cocoa plants. In addition, these higher yielding plants require more intense pesticides, fungicides, and fertilizers to continue producing higher yields. Tests have revealed pesticide contamination in ground water and in the chocolate candy themselves.  Not only can chocolate be contaminated with pesticides, but any chocolate, including organic chocolate, can be contaminated with lead.  It has been determined the most likely place where lead gets into the chocolate is during the processing of the cocoa beans. However, the levels found in most samples are not likely to cause a problem unless consumed in large amounts.  It is recommended that children don't eat more than one small piece a day since lead is a neurotoxin. 

So, we have contaminants in our organic and conventional chocolate, and we have not even talked about child labor and slavery on chocolate plantations.  It is more common on the Ivory Coast of Africa for plantations to have slaves (including children) farming, harvesting, and planting cocoa beans.  We would hope those numbers of child slaves would be low, but no....they are higher than most people would expect.  The U.S. Department of Labor estimated that almost 15,000 children had been sold into slave labor in the year 2000.  Even if there is no child labor or slavery, there are small farmers underpaid and struggling to compete with high yielding plantations who are often forced to sell their rainforest land which ends up being clear cut to be used by cattle.

We go happily about and unconsciously buying these brands of chocolate...especially on holidays like Halloween.  Here is the ugliness of mainstream brand chocolate. The big name brand chocolate producers such as MnM/Mars and Hershey's have about two-thirds of the U.S. market.  They keep these slave labor and non-organic plantations flourishing by purchasing chocolate from them.  Other big name chocolate makers buy from them too such as: Ben & Jerry's, Cadbury, Godiva, Kraft, Nestle, and See's Candies.  It is good for people to know the name brands because the next time they see it in the stores, they may think twice about buying it.

It all sounds so disparaging doesn't it?  Sorry to bombard you with the negative stuff first, but here is the good news!  Because we are more informed consumers, we are radically changing the demand for chocolate.  The organic chocolate industry is growing by 70% a year.  When we buy organic and fair trade instead of the standard conventional chocolate brands, we send a clear message as consumers that we care about how the chocolate is grown and produced before it gets to us. The organic and fair trade chocolate industry is changing the way mainstream chocolate brands do business.  Many big name brands are starting their own lines of fair trade or organic chocolate or they are purchasing smaller organic companies.  They don't do this because they care, they do it because they see the profit in it and a change in consumer demand.  Organic and fair trade chocolate producers could save the world's rainforests by bringing back thriving habitat, providing jobs, preventing rainforests from being cut down, and stabilizing local economies.  We just need to support them.

So, how do we stop the environmental destruction and social injustice caused by the conventional chocolate giants?  We stop buying mainstream chocolate and start buying organic and fair trade chocolate.  If that is the only green thing someone ever does....they will be doing a world of good.  A similar thing is happening with coffee - that is a whole other story for another time......

For more information on where to buy organic and fair trade chocolate or to read more details about the chocolate industry, click the links below.

http://www.thegreenguide.com/reports/product.mhtml?id=6&sec=3
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/118/chocolate

-- Melinda

Re: BLOG COMMENTS RE: The Darker Side of Chocolate

Holey Cow! That chocolate blog just freaked me out!!!! I feel like I want to evangelize the issue but am afraid I'll come off like a nut job. CHILD SLAVE LABOR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm depressed, but feel like going home and sending any non-organic or non-fair-trade chocolate around the house back to the manufacturer. And write See's candies (maybe others, but I love See's) to ask what their policies are about this and encourage them to change!!!

AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm with you, JJ. I can't have one more thing on my "do not purchase" list. Especially chocolate. Soooooooo, if I get the organic 73% stuff at Trader Joes, may I still indulge? I'm addicted to it and they say it helps stabilize the female part of my body. I hate to think I'm supporting child labor . . that's not my style. YYYYIIIIIKKKKKEEEEESSS

I agree that the companies are probably seeing profit when they snatch up the little organics, but that's OK as a start. I'll give them a tiny bit of green in their smile for at least knowing that there is something out there besides Hershey's milk chocolate. You know, after a while, the Hersheys doesn't even taste like chocolate. Thanks for looking all that up.

Hi lmg,
I think you are safe with any organic or fair trade chocolate purchase. They are not likely to use slave labor according to what I read....including Trader Joe's brand. That is good chocolate!
I also learned while reading about this topic that Cadbury (supposedly uses slave labor) bought Dagoba and Green&Blacks. I doubt the good labor operations at Dagoba and Green&Blacks would change, but who knows? Interesting, I was not sure if I should purchase those anymore. However, after talking to a few friends, they convinced me that even if their going green was profit driven, at least they invested in green and will likely distribute the chocolate more widely. My other friend suggested that I start purchasing organic and fair trade from smaller up-starts to support them since Dagoba and Green&Blacks will be more largely supported and wide spread now. Good points to ponder....