General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Farmer's Market in HMB

I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and I was surprised to see many more booths with certified organic produce. A few were no spray, and one claimed they were in the process of becoming certified so all of their produce was 'no spray'. I am wondering if it is easier to become certified now, or if the demand for it is really convincing farmers it is the best way to go?
Another thing I want to say is that if you think our Farmer's Market is not so great, give it a try again a few times. It only gets better when more people come. At the beginning of the season is when they get new farmers to try it out. If those farmers see a low customer turnout, they don't come back. Maybe our market has not been so successful in past years because not enough people try it or give it a chance?

Re: Our Farmer's Market in HMB

Good points MP!
I went to our market yesterday too! I was impressed to see several different vendors there. One was an Organic Farmed smoked Salmon, another was an organic tea and marinade business from Berkely, and I talked to some people at the Hatch Edible School Garden (The Heal Project) who plan to have a table there on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the market as a project for their students and to benefit the program! The Farmed Salmon guy thought the market seemed to have a low turnout.....not sure if they will keep coming back.
It really pays to support the famers market to get new vendors coming back.