General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BLOG COMMENTS RE: Reusable Shopping Bags? Up to the Challenge?

I noticed Whole Foods hasthat sign inside each shopping cart. Let's see what our very own new (woo hoo!) New Lead does on their own and if they don't do something we can suggest it. If their store in Boulder Creek has it it's likely they'll do it here too.
JJ

Reusable Shopping Bags! I actually work at a grocery store, and I really dislike giving people plastic bags. I have my own reusable bags, and I think it is much better, plus the quality of our plastic bags are so bad, that it takes 2 bags to hold 2 2-liter soda bottles, 2 bags for milk jugs and just way too much. I really think reusable bags or nothing would work great at a grocery store, and really get people into thinking about the world, when they have nothing to hold their items in.

I think it would be ideal if New Leaf and all stores did not offer shopping bags too, but sadly they would lose some customers for that. Maybe they could do this though, if they had a bin at the front of the store where people or baggers could grab used grocery bags. I guess this would require a constant program to obtain old bags from people, but that would be great too!

When I lived in Italy, not only were you expected to bring your own bags, you bagged your own groceries and returned your shopping carts to a particular spot to get back your deposit (about the equivalent of 10 cents, but it was the point - that sized lire coin was useful!). I still get funny reactions when I start bagging my own groceries here. The grocery stores had bags "just in case you forgot", but you always paid for them.