General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: GreenMometer - Reducing Meat Based Diet

Nan mentioned she'd be interested in getting more info about "meatless meals" No blog about it yet but but I can tell you that there are a few RECIPES under the RESOURCES section of the website. All of the recipes are either vegetarian or vegan and are noted which is which (with a definition of the differences). Although there are a TON of fabulous cookbooks (and magazines) with vegan/veg fare, the recipes listed on the site have been shared at a GreenMoms meeting so the people there got a chance to taste them. If you have others please submit them! Our goal is to have every resource on the site "GreenMom" tested by one of us, so if you've had something you like, send it in. http://www.greenmomscoastside.com/GreenMomsCoastside.com/Submissions.html

And although you can get excellent non-meat recipes without using meat substitutes, I'm personally a HUGE fan of all of QUORN brand products (the protein is a mycoprotein - mushroom base). You can get them at Whole Foods (frozen section) and a couple of items at Cunha's in downtown Half Moon Bay. I've tried many fake chicken/turkey products and many of them feel rubbery or just taste gross. The Quorn "chicken tenders" are very convenient since they are already cut up and their "turkey" roll is great with a veggie gravy for Thanksgiving and turkey sandwiches (and a heck of a lot easier than cooking a turkey :-> We like to baste it in olive oil and rosemary before cooking) Trader Joe's has a good fake beef strips substitute (but I don't care for their chicken version). We're working on getting a recommended books section up on the site so if you have a favorite Veg-based cookbook, send that suggestion to the link above and we'll check it out and likely post it.