General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What are your thoughts on the GreenMometer? Let's discuss.

Judgemental and insulting? Really, why? They're just a bunch of different ideas to me. And like it says on the page, do what feels right for you. Doesn't seem like anything to apologize for. Ditto what Tara said. I like 'em, give me more!

What are your thoughts on the GreenMometer? Let's discuss.

I don’t think the suggestions are insulty or judgey either. One question I have is about the three different stars. They seem to be in a hierarchy of good, better, best. (green, greener, greenest) Are they meant to be thought of in this way? Is the goal to aim to for the greenest star whenever you can?

Re: What are your thoughts on the GreenMometer?

Those are great questions and thank you for asking!

The three stars are not meant to be in a hierarchy of good, better, best although they definately can be interpreted that way. They are there to show a path for those who may want to be ambitious. We don't expect people to push themsleves to the darkest shade of green on every tip, nor do we expect them to make a change in every catagory. When I look at what I do on the list, I do some light green, some green, and not very many greenest. But, if I wanted to take one catagory a step further, I might consult the GreenMometer to see what idea might be a step further.

The goal is to encourage people to make any change by going to whatever level feels the most comfortable. Our whole philosophy is to let people know that doing even just one little thing green can make a difference.

Our latest clarification on that page says: * The labels "Green, Greener, Greenest" indicate the relative "greenness" of the individual tip, not the person. We also realize that some of the tips could be separated out into even more levels, but we have kept three levels to simplify it to keep the page easy to read.

Just as a point of interest, the tip that has insulted the most people so far and has had the most comments has been the Feminine Hygiene catagory. Some people think the Diva Cup is outrageous and should not even be on there. We put it there to show what is available and to cater to someone who may have an interest in this extreme.

I hope that clarifies rather than confuses the issue more. Thanks! - Melinda