General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herbal flea collars for cats?

Herbal flea collars for cats?

I am tired of putting those flea chemicals on my cats where you squeeze the liquid between their shoulder blades. They both lick it off and one of my cats is allergic to it and looses her hair in the spot where the chemcial sits. How good for them could it be to ingest some of this stuff? Our vet recommended giving her another flea pill treatment instead....containing chemcicals. But, I am just not trusting these chemcials to be very safe in the long run.

I am just now trying out some herbal flea collars for my cats. I got them at Whole Foods and the Brand is PetGuard. The ingredient list says they contain pennyroyal, rosemary, eucalyptus, cedarwood, and citronella oils only. I know someone that uses these oils in a soap to bathe their dog and they say it works, but I am worried these oils could also be poisonous or toxic to an animal if ingested over time after rubbing off on their skin.

Anyone know about this brand or these oils to know if they are safe for pets? Has anyone tried these collars before?

Re: Herbal flea collars for cats?

Herbal Flea collars for cats

Mel, I haven't seen the flea collars you mentioned, and so I am wondering if they feel oily? If they feel dry, then I would say the oil couldn't penetrate the skin and it is probably just the smell of the oils that is the deterrent to the fleas. If it is oily then I would wonder, too, about the skin being exposed to the oils for an extended period of time.

I have a book that I love called The Complete Herbal Handbook for Dogs and Cats by Juilette de Bairacli Levy. She mentions using eucalyptus oil on a moisten cotton cloth to rub over the animal. She mentions herbal flea collars that are "woven" from pennyroyal and eucalyptus but says that while they are harmless they must be changed frequently to be effective. She recommends using anti-flea herbs in a dried, powdered form and powdered over the animal. These herbs are: rosemary, santolina, chamomile, southernwood, wormwood, as well as parsley and celery tops that have gone to seed. A good place for ordering herbs if you have trouble finding what you need is: www.mountainroseherbs.com

Ms. Levy also mentions another book that sounds like it would be good. It's called Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard H. Pitcairn. I have not seen this book but from the references she makes to it, it sounds very helpful.

I don't know if any of that helps you or not. I think you are wise not to use the medicated flea collars or flea pill. I know the chemicals in these are pretty grim. (Flea collars should be out of reach of children.)

I have also heard of garlic treating lice, ticks, and worms. . so it could possibly help with fleas too. Of course it can be tricky to get an animal to take garlic. When I give garlic to our dog, I mince the garlic with a garlic press and mix it with peanut butter, brown rice, and a touch of whole wheat flour. Then I roll this mixture into balls and he gobbles them up!

Wow! Great info and resources you have listed here. It makes me think I may want to create a Pet Resources page for just such info.
So I am guessing we can trust that if we put herbal powder or rub herbal oil on our animals that it will not poison them? That is my concern too since I have never done that before. I am worried about short and long term effects.

Thanks so much!
-Melinda

Just a tip...make sure your husband likes the scents you use on the cats first! Hahaha - just after reading these posts I noticed my cat had a HORRIBLE case of fleas. I had some eucalyptus oil around so I rubbed some on my cat's neck (like where you'd put the "Advantage"-type stuff. Eeeck, my hubby said he nearly gagged when he walked in the door. Who knew he'd have such a strong reaction to that scent! (Can't tell you yet if they eucalyptus worked...)