General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AB 1991 Opposition Letter: What do you think?

Not that I approve of the solution using this bill making an end-run around our laws, but to bring more info into the picture... This issue isn't as simple as "the city of HMB wants to let someone develop on wetlands". First let me be clear that I'm no expert and I'm only writing from memory of articles read long ago. But if I recall, this is a LONG TIME PROBLEM for development that was approved something like 20 or 30 years ago BEFORE there were any wetlands on the property. I believe the city's actions created the wetlands during the time they were putting up roadblocks to previously approved plans. Also, I believe that the developers (the property has changed hands) has complied with requirements in the past - this new solution is wacky and brought on because previous officials so botched it the current ones are scrambling. If only reason had prevailed in decades before...

That's it - just wanted a little info brought into the discussion from "the other side" of the issue.

Re: AB 1991 Opposition Letter: What do you think?

ooops, I thought I was replying to something I think I'm reading over our email. Sorry 'bout that. Here was that message:

Thank you for sending this info Michelle. This is an issue of concern because it involves our local environment. AB 1991 is sacrificing all environmental protections and review for a particular development in order to fix the problem that the city of HMB got itself into. If I am not mistaken from reading about this previously, HMB is basically letting a developer build on two properties in the Coastal Zone designated as wetland in order to get out of a lawsuit. The concern is that once it sacrifices all environmental review in this instance, it will set a dangerous precedent for any coastal environmental review to be exempted. That might be a deal for the city, but not for it's residents! Interesting to note that other coastal cities are concerned about this bill as it will likely affect them too. The email that Michelle sent was forwarded from people who live on the Mendonoma Coast. Other major en vironmental organizations like the Sierra Club are against this bill as well because it outright exempts all Coastal Act requirements. Our coast is such a special place. We are so lucky to live here. We still have wetlands and beautiful undeveloped spaces to enjoy. Let's not let it become the next Daily City by letting our environmental laws get watered down. If this concerns you, please fax a letter and speak out. Fax info on Michelle's email.
http://mendonoma.blogspot.com/2008/06/more-time-to-oppose-ab-1991.html