General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leek and Chard Souffle recipe

I'm experimenting this year with the produce box from Green Oaks Creek Farm and found that this tasty vegetarian recipe is a great way to use up my leeks and chard (or other greens, like spinach). It is a little labor intensive, but fun to do. My 3-year-old likes helping me beat the egg whites with our electric whisk. Anyone else have any good leek or greens recipes to share?

Enjoy!

Leek and chard souffle

Cook 1/2 cup flour in 4 tablespoons butter for 2 minutes in a heavy saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups milk, whisking constantly, and simmer until thick. Remove from heat and beat in 7 egg yolks, 1 at a time. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Set aside. Cook 1/2 cup finely chopped leek whites in 2 tablespoons olive oil until soft, add 1 pound blanched chard leaves and 1 clove minced garlic, and cook until dry. Chop finely and add to sauce with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Beat 7 egg whites with 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar until firm peaks form. Fold into chard mixture in 3 additions. Transfer to a greased 2-quart souffle dish dusted with Parmesan. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 25 more minutes, until puffed and brown. Serve immediately.

Re: Leek and Chard Souffle recipe

This looks good! Thank you for posting. I am going to try it, and I will also get the recipe posted in our Resources pages under Recipes.