General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cast iron pots and dirty sinks

Part 1: I collect and use cast iron pot and pans. All are from the thrift store (my favorite is the Value Center run by the Veterans of Foreign Wars) and when I rescue them they are in various states of rust and gunk. I always use kosher salt (the crystals are bigger) and a bit of oil (I use olive) and make a paste to clean them. (Then I cook them in the oven for a couple of hours) Works like a charm. I've never had one I couldn't clean up.

Part 2: I recently traded my white standard sink for a black, rougher surface sink. I thought I would love it, but it NEVER comes clean. I've tried vinegar, Ecover soft scrub, tears, and no luck.

The end: Today when I was working in my black sink, cleaning two rescued cast iron roasting pots, the thought occurred to me that perhaps my salt/oil paste would clean my sink also. Seemed like a good combination - abrasive and lubricant. I tried it, it was magic, and I couldn't wait to post it here. My sink is beautiful, I'm not frustrated, it's green, and I am frantically looking around for where else I can use my new-found paste. Any ideas?

Re: cast iron pots and dirty sinks

Nana, I am happy to know the tip about the kosher salt paste for cast iron pots and sinks. We have a white sink and it can be a bugger to get clean too. I am going to try the salt paste. I'm thinking of trying it in my bathtub and floor! What about for enamel pots and pans?? I bet it would work great for that, too. Thanks for the inspiration!!

I actually have used a salt paste to clean my oven. While the oven is still warm from baking something, I spray the inside of the oven with water and sprinkle generously with salt. I let it sit until the oven is cooled enough to get in there and scrub. I use a rag and/or or plastic scrub brush. Add more salt and water as needed. (globs of burnt food might take more water and salt and a metal spatula to loosen.) When all the gunk is srubbed off you have to wet a rag and wipe all the loose gunk and salty paste. It might sound like a lot of work, but it is really easy and only takes about 10 minutes for a really dirty oven. I like it because there is no smell (like the awful chemical oven cleaners) and I don't have to worry about chemical residue in my oven.

Re: cast iron pots and dirty sinks

Re: cast iron pots and dirty sinks...Well, I wouldn't use the oil part, but the salt would come in handy. Many many moons ago in my waitressing days (yes, we were called WAITRESSES then) we cleaned coffee pots with salt, lemon and ice (maybe a bit of water for swirling) - no cleansers.