General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunscreens: EWG top picks

Sunscreens: EWG top picks

Anyone have experience with some of these sunscreens below? If so, how do you like them? These are some of the EWG top picks:

TRUKID SUNNY DAYS Face Stick
CALIFORNIA BABY SUNSTICK
BADGER SUNSCREEN SPF 30
MARIE VERONIQUE SKIN THERAPY
LAVERA SUNSCREEN NEUTRAL, SPF 40
UV NATURALS, SPF 30
SOLEO ORGANICS SUNSCREEN, SPF 30

Re: Sunscreens: EWG top picks

I looked at the list and at first was happy to see that one of the sunscreens we use is on there. (UV Natural SPF 30) We’ve used it for about 3 years and love it. Then I realized they have a new formula. So I looked at the ingredients list. The first thing I noticed was “micronized zinc oxide”. The word “micronized” sounded suspicious to me. I wasn’t sure if this was nano-technology or not. I looked at the other sunscreens thinking maybe I would find a different one to use and all the sunscreens had either “micronized zinc oxide”, “micronized titanium dioxide” or both. A few had other suspicious ingredients too. Vanicream lists polyethylene as an ingredient. The website http://pslc.ws/macrog/pe.htm states it is “the most popular plastic in the world”! And the active ingredient found in Vanicream is Octinoxate (Oxtyl) Methoxycinnamate. This is not a natural active ingredient. Octinoxate is the active ingredient in many mainstream sunscreens like the ones we are all trying to avoid. California Baby had an ingredient called Ozokerite. It’s a “hydrocarbon wax derived from mineral or petroleum sources.”
One contained “nano zinc oxide” (Key Soap Solar Rx Therapeutic Sunblock SPF 30).
After looking at the sunscreens ingredients I was curious about the term “micronized” and tried to research it on the internet.

Unfortunately, I did not find anything conclusive. Micronization is similar to nano technology in that it is a way of breaking down a substance (in this case a mineral) into very fine, small particles. One site said micronized is larger than nano particles and therefore does not pose a problem. Another site said that many companies call nano technology and mirconized the same thing. Some sites said that micronized is only dangerous in powder form (like in face powders, etc.) because it can have a similar effect as asbestos, harming living tissue that is comes in contact with and can cause lung cancer. Some sites claim that in a cream form there is no danger of using nano or micronized particles.

No one agrees about the dangers or benefits of it. Much of the controversy surrounds health issues but there are environmental concerns as well. These concerns are just as varied and as controversial as the health ones with some saying there are no concerns to some saying there are many.

So why do sunscreen companies use this technology? Using zinc oxide and titanium dioxide at the nano and micronized levels keeps the sunscreen transparent. It helps eliminate that white-ish look that is characteristic of zinc oxide and titanium oxide. This white-ish look was a big complaint by consumers when switching to a more natural sunscreen.

Now granted there is not a perfect sunscreen for sale. I do understand that. The Organic Consumers Association even boldly states, “The bottom line is this: we have found no sunscreen ingredients which we consider to be safe.” And not everyone will feel troubled like I do about the ingredients listed in the top ten sunscreens. Since mironized and nano-technology are so controversial there is a lot of room for opinions on it. Some people may feel safe with it, others may not. I just urge everyone to keep thinking for themselves and use their own intuition coupled with their own research, etc. to make the best decision for themselves.

I think there is a possible danger in lists (like this sunscreen one) from any organization, because it may inhibit our own intuition and ability to question and research. When I first looked at the list, I sighed a breath of relief that the sunscreen we’ve been using for so long was in the top 10! I felt like we made it. I was ready to leave it at that and go on thinking I was doing something good for my family and the environment. I figured the things that mattered to me were the same things that mattered to the EWG. This kind of assumption is something I am learning is not correct. How can it be? How can all the things that matter to me, matter to the EWG or any other organization or store or group? And yet, I still make this incorrect assumption all the time. This kind of assumption is not good. I’m learning that just because a store, or a company, or an organization stands for something that I believe in, I can’t quit doing my own “investigating”. The trouble is we are all busy people with an every growing list of things we are trying to avoid or do so when it seems to have been done for us, it is a relief. But sometimes relying on that kind of relief can lull us away from things we are trying to do or things that really matter to us. We still need to research and learn and ask questions regardless.

This is why I think websites like greenmomscoastside are so valuable. They provide a forum for questioning and researching and not taking things for granted. The world needs these kinds of forums if we are going to improve it.

End Note: Since I’m not comfortable with the idea of micronized or nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, I’ve decided to try and make my own sunscreen. There are lots of recipes out there on the web!! I’ll keep you informed.

You make some very good points here. It is always good to question everything, and not necessarily trust one source for making all your decisions. It is really good to research things for yourself if you have time, and to make your own products that you would trust if you can.

I think EWG has done some great research and tested products for effectiveness. If you have time to research sunscreens and ingredients past what the EWG has done, then more power to you.

Let us know what more you discover, because I would like to know and I am sure Green Moms everywhere would like to know. Thanks for making those great points.