General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BLOG COMMENTS RE: Sunscreens - Safest & Most Effective

How do we know what sunscreens work the best and are the safest?  Whose guidance should we abide by? Doctors, dermatologists, cosmetologists, sunscreen companies? There is some controversy as to which sunscreens are safe.  Most dermatologists and doctors are not well versed on the details of current toxicology and can often be convinced by product representatives as to what is safe. 

I am generalizing here, but after working for over eight years as a dietitian in the hospital industry, I have found that professional opinions and expertise can become complacent. Healthcare professionals often take for granted that medication and chemicals which are effective at treating acute problems are also safe in the long-term since they have been approved by the FDA. Even so, we have seen many FDA-approved medications recalled for causing problems after long-term use.  Although the FDA monitors some ingredients for use in sunscreens, it is not required to approve sunscreens and it has not set any safety standards for sunscreens.

Many chemicals in sunscreens have not been studied for effects on our bodies or the environment.  Just because chemicals in today's sunscreens don't seem to adversely effect adults in a short time, there's little research regarding the effects of exposure to developing embryos, babies or children in the long run.  Since most people don't have time to do the research themselves, we need to find credible sources to help us make the best choices.  I think the Environmental Working Group (EWG) has done a good job evaluating sunscreens.  They admit that even some of the top-rated sunscreens still pose possible concerns, and they rate them as low hazard.  Of course, we all want a sunscreen rated 'no hazard', but since none exist, I feel much better off using a low hazard product than a high hazard product.  I feel EWG is a credible source because not only do they have an impressive staff of environmental chemists, biologists, nurses, and doctors, but they conduct research on products to determine safety and effectiveness (something the FDA should be doing), and they are a non-profit funded by donations.  Here is the link to the staff info:  http://www.ewg.org/about/staff

Here is the link to their summary and my picks of Environmental Working Groups top picks:
 http://www.ewg.org/node/26778

Most Important things to look for:
1. find a screen with UVA and UVB protection (UVB screen protects against burning, UVA screen protects against deep skin tissue damage)
2. find a screen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the active ingredient
3. better to get micronized zinc or titanium rather than nano
3. should not contain oxybenzone
4. should not be combined with an insect repellent because it is less effective

My top picks from their list:
TRUKID SUNNY DAYS Face Stick (micronized, reviews say goes on smooth and clear)
CALIFORNIA BABY SUNSTICK (micronized)
BADGER SUNSCREEN SPF 30 (micronized)
MARIE VERONIQUE SKIN THERAPY (micronized)
LAVERA SUNSCREEN NEUTRAL, SPF 40
UV NATURALS, SPF 30 (micronized, reviews say greasy)
SOLEO ORGANICS SUNSCREEN, SPF 30 (micronized)

I use the California baby stick which is more user friendly to put on my daughter.  I mean, she likes it better than cream.  It is white and does not roll on smoothly, but we pretend we are doing her make-up for a ballet performance.  I like the cream version because it is much less greasy than UV Naturals.  She likes it better too and won't let me put on UV Naturals anymore.  UV Naturals is too greasy, but I have been told to try using it in small amounts and rubbing it in thoroughly. I might try that, but I have a feeling people with oily skin still might not like it.  My reasons for picking the selections above from EWG top-picks are based on their mostly botanical ingredients, no nano particles, and the low hazard safety rating.

Anyone have experience with any of the other sunscreens on this list?  Let’s discuss and help others find the one that will work best for them.

-- Melinda

Re: BLOG COMMENTS RE: Sunscreens - Safest & Most Effective

I wanted to add what I found out about UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays do not cause sunburn but effect the DNA of cells which can cause skin cancer. UVB rays can cause tanning or sunburn and can cause skin cancer as well..but at least you have some warning with you skin changing color. Scientists are also concerned about UVC rays which no one has researched much yet. They don't know if sunscreen protects against it or not. They also don't know if it can cause skin cancer or not.

BLOG COMMENTS RE: Sunscreens - Safest & Most Effective

Wow, it is hard to find sunscreens out there without oxybenezone! I grabbed a sunscreen off the shelf at New Leaf (the Sun brand), assuming that they had screened them, and when I read the label later found oxybenezone as an ingredient. Fortunately they let me return it, even without a receipt, but I did have to raise a bit of a stink. Then I found that almost all of their sunscreens contain that chemical, and others. They do carry one sunscreen, the Burn Out Clean and Clear, that is purely zinc oxide as an active ingredient, but they were sold out. Of course everything at Safeway and Longs has oxybenezone. I finally found a couple sunscreens without it at Oasis and got two, the All Terrain TerraSport (which is only SPF 15, unfortunately) and one other I can't find right now. So far I'm pretty happy.

Last year I got a tube of California Baby, which I thought was pretty greasy and hard to use, but when I spread a small amount first on my fingers that seemed to work better, and boy did it last! I used that tube all summer and I'm almost through the Burn Out after a few weeks. But maybe I wasn't being as diligent with the applications.

some questions:

UVA rays: have they increased of late, due to ozone depletion?

Shea butter: a natural SPF of 15. Does olive oil also provide a natural SPF?

Nutritional angle: I've read that eating carrots helps children to develop healthy melanin. Other foods that may help with sun exposure?

Alternating sun with shade: skin-applied sunblocks are necessary should shade become difficult to obtain, but how about simply self-regulating with access to shade?

Re: comments
I have heard that Shea Butter can boost sun protection. I am happy to know it has SPF as high as 15. I am seriously considering using that as a daily cream on my face. I did not know about carrots increasing melanin...that sounds like it could be helpful. I don't know about olive oil being protective of UVA or UVB rays but I know that it contains Vit E which is an antioxidant which may help heal the skin. From what mainstream nutrition has taught me, however, it is more likely to work better as an antioxidant if you consume it.
What I did not mention in the blog is other ways to protect ourselves from the sun. I think that limiting our exposure and going in the shade or indoors often helps. Going in the shade will protect more than being in direct sun, but even in the shade the UV rays bounce of sand, dirt, snow etc and can reach us. Wearing protective clothing, hats, and glasses is helpful....but it can make us hot.
From what I have read, all UV rays are more intense now that we have less ozone. The hole in the ozone is mostly over the southern hemisphere of the planet and spans a large part of Austrailia. Sadly, they are more screwed than we are right now.

Re: Shea Butter question
Does anyone have a good reference about Shea Butter and its sun protective qualities? I am curious to find out if it protects against UVA and UVB.