General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BLOG COMMENTS RE: When a Bucket Isn't Just a Bucket

I was just seriously considering getting a bucket like yours when I read this from a newsletter I get from IdealBite.com:

"Pocket-change conservation. The average American spends $45 per year on bath and shower water. The money you'll save by adopting this tip is a drop in the bucket (um...), but every little bit helps, right?"

So...
1. Is it about saving water, money or both?
2. If we say it's about saving water, anyone know how many gallons the avg. shower takes compared to saving 2-3 gallons of water per shower?

Bucket

Hi Paula,
It is more about saving water because of the drought.
I am guessing a conservative shower takes about 30 gallons and a longer shower might take 60 gallons or more.
I actually plugged the drain once and took a shower to see how much I used. It was about 1/2 a bathtub which I am guessing is around 30 gallons. I was in conservation mode, and I think my showers are normally longer and much more wasteful than that. In comparison 2-3 gallon savings a shower seems insignificant, but multiply it by how many people in the household use it, and then by the shower days in a year. It adds up to significant water savings. At least it seems like it to me.
I mostly do it because it is not a huge hassle and it makes me feel better. I would much rather have a grey water system in our house, but that will be much further down the line for us due to the effort of installation, permitting, and cost involved.