General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Blog COMMENTS RE: Confessions of a GreenDad

OH, yes, those NON-GREEN M&Ms! -- No redeeming libido.

Dear me, is my child a non-green luxury? oops! too late to give that one up. Sorry, NPG.

How can one confess away the culture in which one has marinated since zilch? Article of faith: I believe humans can learn to live in ways that are regenerative rather than destructive of their environments.

Sound intriguing? maybe as good as a gizmo? Check out Permaculture.

Learning to live guilt-free,
rene

I have to admit that I used to be an advertisers dream. I loved all the latest and greatest and trendiest things. Luckily, I have a different mindset now, and those things that are marketed to us, are now mostly ugly to me.
So, I don't have a problem giving anything up, I just have problems saying no to my daughter on the toy and entertainment items. I have done a pretty good job for the most part but, it is really hard to deny her things that seem like so much fun for kids! For the most part she has natural toys made from wood, cotton, wool, silk or hemp. And most often she get's used toys and even clothing, but sometimes those plastic toys sneak in there from parties, gifts, or just spur of the moment purchases when we are out at a museum or aquarium or whatnot. Also, she loves stuffed animals, and of course they are mostly made in China from petrol based polyester.
We just try to keep our purchases of these things to a minimum. This year however, I am not even going to admit what I got for my daughter that was a big eco no-no. I tell myself I had to turn in lots of eco-points for it.
As for myself, clothing is occasionally a problem. For the most part, I try not to buy any mainstream clothes and to make organic, hemp, or other sustainable choices when ordering online. However, sometimes I get in a desparate mode when we are going to a party or gathering and I feel like none of my clothes will work. Last year, I had an attack of desparation and went to some outlets to fill in the gaps in my clothing. Is there anything even slightly eco-redeeming about buying outlet clothing? Someone, please tell me there is.

Uhm, maybe buying something from an outlet saves your GREENS and keeps the outfit from going into the landfill? I'm trying here...

I just love confessions. They lurk in the recesses of our hearts and homes. We are afraid to bring them out in the light for fear we will be seen as "less" (less caring, less eco, less green, less in control, less strong, less you name it. To confess in public is, well, over the top.

SOOOO I loved the confessions. I'll only admit to one that makes me green blush for being wasteful. OK, so I got a chlorine filter for the shower, I have lo flow toilets (and can mostly stand yellow water), the shower head drips water turned on full blast these days - lo flow u know - I brush my teeth with a whisp of water, use left over drinking water to sustain plants and fill the cat bowls, and wash clothes in barely enough water to cover them.

So what is the real confession??? A HOT and sinfully long shower (5-6 minutes). Hey, I do my best problem solving in the quiet of the moist heat where NO ONE, I mean NO ONE, dares interrupt. It's actually good for the planet to have those problems off the table. I suggest we put the president in a hot shower and not let him out until this war thing is solved. Just might work.

Meanwhile, I'll keep up the other water savers and encourage u all to send me your problems to solve - to balance the guilt and save the planet. LOL

5-6 minutes in a shower is a "sinfully long shower"? Okay, string me up by the hemp rope and tickle me silly. That's a normal shower for me and I was so proud to get it "down" to "only" that much time. Of course, I'm hiding from my husband and daughter to have a little "me" time. And I do some stretches for my tight, dried up muscles - maybe it's considered medicinal then?

Problems you can solve for me? Nothing compared to the ones you've suggested for our leaders, so you can work on those on my behalf. Take an extra minute or two - it will be worth it.

long showers?

5-6 minute showers???? Well you ladies are 'greenest' or super green in my book when it comes to showers. I still can't quit my 30 minute warm to hot showers. Oooh, can I say that? We are in a drought. That almost feels illegal.
At least, I don't take one everyday....which sounds gross....but I have very dry skin and super dry curly hair.....so technically, I can't.