General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Slow Food

I've heard of it and know of the upcoming events, but I wouldn't say I'm at all an active participant. Would love to be, just not that organized. When I lived in Italy it was "the way it was" - no special "movement" about it. It was fabulous. Even in the modern, high-rise office corporate environment (at Olivetti - essentially the Italian IBM), lunch was never compromised. I sat and ate at my desk ONCE and everyone looked at me like I had 4 heads. That was quite often the norm in my other USA jobs. People waited for you to go to the cafeteria. People waited for you to finish your lunch. "Cafeteria" wasn't a bad word - some of the best, healthy food I ever ate was at the normal, every day cafeteria. (I never could bring myself to try the wine from the soda-like dispensers...not because of the dispensers, but because of our taboo of drinking alcohol at lunch) And talk about coffee breaks! Every time someone wanted to chat with you about something it was off to the coffee (espresso) machine. Ya, I got jittery at first, but even the machine coffee was good!

Hmmm...maybe I should just move back to Milan. GreenMammas-Italia anyone?

I just read Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"...while in Italy! So got a double dose of Slow Food and am VERY interested in deepening my practice. Sadly I missed the Slow Food weekend activities in SF last weekend -- did anyone go?