General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do you deal with non-green friends/relatives?

How do you deal with non-green friends/relatives?

What is the best way to deal with blatently non-green people who you have relationships with? I mean, without wrecking your relationship? It may depend on their personality or your relationship with them, but anyone have some good ideas about how to tactfully approach issues?

Re: How do you deal with non-green friends/relatives?

This sounds exactly the same as asking "how do you have productive discussions with people of different faiths or politics." Number one - be respectful. Number one and a half - step carefully...there be land mines awaiting you.

I certainly would only start with one example and not address all of their "easily fixed" non-green ways. Maybe point out other benefits they might achieve like, I love not having a ton of saved grocery bags oozing out of cabinets or the side of the fridge now that I (almost) always use my own bags. Or a financial savings for something (cheaper water or electric bills).

Basically I think you have to first understand the root of why they do what they do and then address the root, not necessarily the behavior. Have they never thought about it? Do they think it's too difficult to switch? Do they think a "green" product is inferior or too pricey? Do they hate the earth? Trying to understand someone's motivation is always a good starting point before trying any persuasion.

Or maybe like training a little kid, point out what they already do well (find SOMETHING) and praise "other cool ideas" you heard about somewhere.

That's what I got for ya right now. Anyone else?

Sometimes just the model you set when they are are your home helps. Believe it or not, even when they poo-poo you, they take something from it. Hard not to be preachy when you get green. Life is, indeed, full of challenges. What if they were poisoning your kid (or you)? Well, sometimes they are, so that's not such a stretch to mention it. You all with young uns have an advantage because most of us nanas only want the very best for our grandkids. The thought of us ruining the earth, or the space they live in at home, or their bodies is pretty horrific. Gentle "teachings" and reminders about why you do what you do with our grandkids (and our own kid) gets to us where we "love". The resistance may be birthed in some hidden guilt that maybe we didn't do it just right when we raised some of you. Relatives are easier to nudge to green because they'll forgive your eagerness quicker (you think so?????)and they stick around longer. check the rolling eyes. LOL

Great tips! Thanks so much!