General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: environmental groups & getting off mailing lists

Re: environmental groups & getting off mailing lists

I don't know if it applies to non-profits, but there is a way you can do it yourself. This site looks to have a lot of information:

Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls
http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

Good luck!
J

Re: environmental groups

I'm a bit late in reading this, but I have an ongoing personal campaign to rid my mailbox of catalogs and junk mail. It's the law that when you phone them, they MUST take you off their lists (and do it cheerfully I might add). I stack them up as they come in (and I gag at the waste), then about once a month, I tear off the page with their phone number on it (the order phone number works also), sit down at the phone and call each of them. I always write the date on the single piece of catalog and keep it to make sure they really do take me off. Of course, I always get the line "we've already arranged for our next catalog, so you'll get at lease one more". And I usually do. You are correct, Stacy, that once you order from them, the catalog web starts again (they send you, then they sell your name to another company, who sells your name, etc. etc.). I'll bet if you call them once your order arrives and get off the list immediately, it would cut it down a bit.

I really do hate catalogs that are arriving as the result of an internet purchase. I even call Habitat, NDRC, etc. and point out the error of their ways.