General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BLOG COMMENTS RE: Recap - Winter Veggies Potluck

You too can gather your like-minded friends for GreenMoms events. I write these event recaps to share meeting ideas with everyone out there interested in starting a group like GreenMoms - Coastside. What really helps keep a group’s momentum is to set the tone for applauding everyone for anything they do to go green. We are many shades of green but we still celebrate each other no matter what. It is impossible to be 100% green, so we work with what we’ve got. We realize it can only happen when we have the headspace, time, and energy for it. And, we may only be ready to change one thing at a time. But, something is better than nothing!

Our first event of the year was fun! We had a vegetarian potluck dinner at Amy F’s home. The theme for our potluck was winter vegetables and legumes. Everyone brought fantastic tasting dishes such as winter squash sautéed with caramelized onions over rice, a crock-pot lentil and rice dish, yellow cauliflower with corn, cheddar and rice, vegetable meatloaf with mushroom sauce, homemade 9 grain bread, carrot ginger soup, and several others that I can’t remember right now. Everything was tasty!

The theme for our meeting was: Successes and Challenges for the year 2008. We discussed our own little green successes that we have been able to implement into our lives such as:

• finding re-useable containers to store food instead of disposable plastic
• using cloth towels instead of paper towels
• motivating others to make gift bags for special occasions
• using cloth napkins instead of disposable napkins
• re-using disposable dishware instead of tossing it

It was fun to find out everyone’s challenges as was well because we can all sympathize with the difficulty of implementing a new process at home and how it can be overwhelming or tough to organize. Even so, many ideas were shared about how others have overcome these challenges which, I hope, helped to inspire some of us to try new things.

What a great group! It is always so fun to discuss new ideas and challenges with this group of very concerned and caring women. Thank you to everyone for all you do!

If you have more to add that I might have forgotten about our meeting, please share here in the Discussion Forum. Happy New Year! With new hope, may we have inspiration to take on more challenges!

-- Melinda

Big News: GreenMoms Going Global!
Signup for our GreenMoms newsletter on the Home Page
if you'd like to know when we launch GreenMoms.com