Homepage For Marti Pellow & Wet Wet Wet Forum

Forum is for all supporters to this site, all messages are left by supporters.......

Forum Daily Post Added February 23rd 2020
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Why did Marti Pellow leave Wet Wet Wet? Read The Story Here

Hey

It did not come as a surprise to those closest to Marti Pellow, that he decided to leave the band to pursue a solo career.

During breaks from recording and performing with Wet Wet Wet, Marti Pellow, 55, recorded eleven solo albums and between 2001 and 2017 released the same number of solo singles.

The singer also starred in Broadway and West End musicals, the first of which was Billy Flynn, the lawyer in the musical Chicago in 2002.

Following its success, his performances included stints in shows including Blood Brothers and Evita and also as a pantomime villain in Glasgow in 2016 in Aladdin, where Marti played between 2015 and 2018, that took the show to Birmingham, Glasgow, Bristol and finally Dartford.

After performing three sell-out concerts with Wet Wet Wet to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their debut album, Popped In Souled Out (1987) in early July 2017, the bands 15 July concert at Edinburgh Castle has transpired to be Marti Pellow's final performance as a member. No one knew Marti was going to quit for good. I was away in West Africa at that time with my family, on Marti departure from Wet Wet Wet just under 2 weeks later after playing live, to celebrate Wet Wet Wet 30th Anniversary, in which I did not get tickets, as it were so close to my West African holiday that we booked just before the announcement was made by Wet Wet Wet. The first date clashed with Mias birthday I was working during the day, the second date I was working I could not make the London date, then finally the Edinburgh date, it was the last weekend before our departure to West Africa. If it had been local most possibly I would have gone, be duds it was Edinburgh, it made it absolutely complicated as I had work on the Monday the week of the holiday for 2 days. Besides I only had one day left to take as I already used my 6 weeks including the 3 weeks break as we was going to West Africa. Luckily I had one day left as I was able to take that to come and see Marti. Because the Monday Marti played at The Stables in Wavendon In Milton Keynes, I was on a 12 hour shift the day of Marti was playing. So luckily I got the day off to do only one show, I could not do the second date at The Stables as I were in Portsmouth with work for a conference meeting.

Speaking to Music Week on July 28, 2017 Marti Pellow made a statement he was leaving the band.

The Wet Wet Wet singer said: Marti will be spending more time on his solo work - performing concerts, acting and his own songwriting - as an artist he felt a lot more settled in this world.

Marti have had a great time and loved his career with Wet Wet Wet and to Marti they will always be the best band in the world.

When Marti started in Wet Wet Wet Marti gave it 100 per cent of his heart and soul and thats what it demands and that is also what the fans demand - and if Marti cannot do that because Marti focus is elsewhere, then this is not fair on the fans or the rest of the guys in the band.

Since then, Wet Wet Wet have continued with former Liberty X member Kevin Simm as their lead singer. To whom joined in September 2018.

Marti Pellow is one of Scotland's finest singers of the past 33 years.

As the frontman for Wet Wet Wet during their chart-dominating pomp in the 1980s and 1990s to his solo career, he continues to bring in big crowds wherever he performs.

Here are all the big facts, about Marti Pellow any fan should know:

Marti Pellow is a Scottish singer, and was the lead singer of Scottish pop group Vortex Motion then later to become Wet Wet Wet - Wet Wet Wet from their formation in 1982 until their first split in 1997 when Tom Cunningham quit then Marti quit in 1999, and again from their reformation in 2004 to their second split in 2017 when Marti quit for the foreseeable future.

He has also recorded several solo albums, and performed as an actor in musical theatre productions in both the West End and on Broadway.

Marti Pellow joined the band in 1982, while training to be a painter and decorator. Then going by his name of Mark McLachlan, he later changed to his stage name of Marti Pellow, created from his mother's maiden name Pellow and the nickname he was given at school (smarty).

The band name Wet Wet Wet was chosen from a line in the 1984 Scritti Politti song Gettin Havin and Holdin (it's tired of joking... wet, wet with tears).

Marti sang the lead vocals on Wet Wet Wets biggest hits, including Love is All Around, Sweet Little Mystery and Goodnight Girl.

In 1997, the band split. Pellow was by this time suffering from an addiction to heroin. On finally beating the drug, Marti said: It was textbook. Marti couldn't function without it. But there is no romantic side to heroin – it's no good.

The band reformed in 2004, but in 2017, Marti announced he was leaving the band to concentrate on his solo work: Performing concerts, acting and Marti own songwriting - as an artist Marti feel a lot more settled in this world.

Marti has had a great time and loved his career with Wet Wet Wet and to Marti they will always be the best band in the world. When I started in Wet Wet Wet Marti gave it 100 percent of his heart and soul and that what it demands and that is also what the fans demand - and if I can’t do that because Marti focus is elsewhere, then this is not fair on the fans or the rest of the guys in the band, so Marti made that decision to leave for the foreseeable future in 2017.

We hope to see further singing from Marti, when it is safe too, hopefully in 2021. Further Pantos and Musicals.

Marti is currently writing a Musical at present, which we all cannot wait for.

We thank Marti for his lockdown sessions via social media between April and July 2020. Marti also did a few outtakes in August 2020 on social media and popped by on social media to say hello.

I hope u all enjoyed reading this story.

Good night!

Love Hugs and Kisses

Karen Marie DCruz (Administrator) xx