Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hunting Arrowheads

Need some help.
I bought a camp on Toledo Bend lake last year and the man that owned it prior to me was a rock collector.He passed away and I purchased it from his Son.He left 90% of all the rocks the man had collected over the years.Since then me and my grandaughter have been getting into looking for rocks and have now started looking for Arrowheads.Found a few chips and half of a Arrowhead.Was wondering if anyone out there knew of a good place to start looking in the area I am at.I am on the South end of Toledo near the dam in Newton County about 10 miles North of Burkeville Texas close to the lousiana state line.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,Rick Weber

Re: Hunting Arrowheads

hello rick,i have not been that far east,but i'm in east texas.i hunt every creek and river i come across.and have found points in every one, try some of the closer ones.look in every rock bed.i've had good luck.my finds are in michelles friends finds.good luck

You will not get a lot of help here, i'm sorry to say. A whole lot of tire kickers here, as i call em in sales. I used to post questions on the board with 100+ viwers and not a single respons?. Even though many can help, many choose not to? That's one reason i left this site months back, boycotting in a way. Michelle does her best(many thanks michelle!), but viewers do too little to help promote the purpose of this board.
RGS

Its pretty much.. you see chips.. Try a test hole.. If there is nothing .. try going down a foot.. if there are still flakes.. keep going.. If there isn;t anything.. Try somewhere else

I know what you mean about the non-posters there Glenn.. I really can;t do anything to "make" people post ..

ALOT of people just read these boards.. and thats cool.. If there are folks that want to lend a hand and make suggestions, ofcourse they are appreciated

This is for the arrowhead hunters and collectors. I wish it was used more.. But, really if you look to some other boards as well, maybe there are others than can help

Michelle

Thanks to Roy,Michelle and Glen for your reply's to my post on help hunting arrowheads on the South end of Toledo bend.Me and my Grandaughter who is 9 years old will try your ideas this weekend.I'm afraid if we dont find something pretty soon she is going to loose interest.A neighbor gave me one to throw down for her to find to keep her interest up.Would really like to find one on our own.My brother found 4 really nice arrowheads on his deer lease a couple of weekends ago and has invited us to come with him this weekend.it is really close to the lake and lots of them are found in the area.Hopefully I wont have to use the throw down.Anyway, thanks for the reply's and I'll let you know if we do any good.
Rick Weber

surface hunting is like fishing

My father would take me and my brother to spots he found while surveying, and we would look for hours on end, only to come up with pieces of flint. If her attention span is short, for most 9 year olds are, you better take more than one throw down, maybe a fishing pole? If your on the lake, walk the shore lines, and check as the water levels go down.
Good luck,
RGS

Thanks Glenn,
We fish all the time and she is really a good Fishin Gal.She has really surprised me.She will let you know if she has caught more than you.Fishing is fixin to get really good with the warm weather so we will probably start doing some this weekend also.Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Rick Weber

Rick, You ned to concentrate farther up the lake. Most hunters work the exposed sandy points, as the water receeds. Hunting the north end should be turning on again, as the water levels near 3 feet low.

Thanks for the Info Mike.I appreciate it.
Rick W

We never found any there in all the years my dad owned his camp (bought it in 1979 and sold it this year), but he had a place at Rayburn before that and we found 3. I am starting to get interested again because my uncle George from Ohio says that there is a creek near the cemetery where his father is buried and he only picks up "the good ones", meaning the ones that have no chips! and we only have our 3 little arrowheads. I live in Orange, have access to land in Woodville and Lake Amanda (near Lake Tejas). Anyone know of good places to look there?

Hey Rick,

Toledo Bend?

Excellent! Don't worry about digging for rocks there. Get out and surface hunt! Boat around and look for creeks coming in and walk the banks. Neither I nor my dad have been bothered by "the man" for walking around. I found a huge Darl last year and my dad has come back with several San Patrices. Try to stay out away from the main body of the lake and search areas that wash real good in the smaller bays. Flip the rocks and something will come up.

I sure would like to have a spot on Toledo! I've seen a few nice Scotties come off that lake.

jason